12K Reality 70ppd projection

Do we know anything about how Pimax intend to implement this feature on a technical level?

As a Varjo user I know this isn’t supported by SteamVR as it requires 2 screens per eye and two different rendering pipelines per eye.

Is Pimax intending to implement this like Varjo where any sw that wants to use this functionality has to be developed using the proprietary SDK?

If so, IRL usability will be close to 0 for gaming purposes.

What’s the current plan, given an intended release in less than 14 months?

@PimaxQuorra @PimaxUSA @SweViver

Edit: I need to clarify that yes, it is possible to turn on the focus screens on a Varjo within any SteamVR title via software but that simply projects that part of the perceived image onto the FOV of the focus screens. Imagine a 55 inch 1080p screen and now you place a 16inch 8K screen onto the middle of that bigger screen, displaying exactly the content it would occlude, but at the same resolution as that otherwise occluded content.

Yes it looks different and now it is physically impossible to discern any sort of pixel structure but it isn’t any clearer; in fact it’s actually a more softened image that feels less sharp.

I do hope this isn’t what Pimax will resort to as a fall-back solution as it‘s not a meaningful improvement.

Specific rendering for the 70ppd screen at its native res or higher is the only way.

3 Likes

Thats a good question !

1 Like

It is my understanding that that 12k won’t have 70ppd. I thought the 70ppd feature that they showed was shown as a future technology, not something for the 12K?

4 Likes

Yep, the 12K has 35 PPD…see clip from video below

2 Likes

Dont worry by the time 12K is released, i fully expect them to announce a 12KX.

6 Likes

Lol…no doubt about that! If the 12K turns out to be as good as advertised then I’d be happy to see what they would have on tap for a 12KX. That’s looking way too far out though. Let’s see what the 12K is really like first. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t encourage them.

3 Likes

Huh, I was 100% positive there was a ‘one more thing’ moment at the very end of the presentation and it described the ‘70ppd projection’ as a feature of the 12K but I guess I must have been mistaken.

Agree it wasn’t clear at all, lacking any context of what they meant about the retina display. The 70ppd image was shown overlayed with the 35 ppd image suggesting it is for the 12k qled?! Feels like it contradicts the intent of showing off the 12k if there’s a suggestion of something better down the road to wait for… in the end I decided to just wait for CES and hope things become clearer then.

3 Likes

in video they said that aside of 12k their team also puts R&D effort in regard to achieve human eye resolution ppd values, and even shown a series of stacked lenses with some examples of future possible projects, no one said its linked somehow to upcoming 12k, there they said ppd will be 35, not sure from where you got all these assumptions.

3 Likes

I’ve not made any assumptions, you seem to have seen something different to me?

They said “one more thing that we’ve worked (not working…) so hard on only to be able to show it to you today”… so not what you’ve said??? no mention of R&D or future possible projects???

Simply followed on saying they are going for “retina vr display for vr”, called “FRD”… and proceeded to show images of it with minimal info showing it at 70 PPD along with the 35 PPD.

Transcript:

“65:30
we have one more thing for you the one
65:32
more thing that we’ve worked so hard on
65:34
only to be able to show it to you today
65:37
we’re going where no one has gone before
65:40
that’s right we’re going for the retina
65:43
vr display the ultimate goal of displays
65:46
and vr headsets once we’re past this
65:48
point our human eyes can no longer
65:50
distinguish if an object is in virtual
65:53
reality or in the real world in front of
65:55
us how magnificent is that
65:59
here it is our most innovative and
66:01
advanced display technology for vr
66:03
headsets the pimax fixed retina display
66:06
the frd
66:07
let’s check it out
66:30
okay
66:41
oh
66:43
now that is exciting this is the real
66:46
future of the vr headset it’s going to
66:49
be the state-of-the-art purpose-built
66:51
display technology for vhar headsets
66:54
alright that’s all we’ve got”

4 Likes

It’s something the team is actively refining. So both worked on and still working on would be appropriate. We’ll put more out on it as we move forward with it. We’ll be putting together some through the lens screen shot comparisons etc. next year.

5 Likes