8K+/110Hz FW (non-alpha) release v264 - quick report

Happy to report that after downloading PiTool 259, was given option to update to FW 264 which enabled the 110Hz option PiTool. I enabled the option, HMD rebooted and worked perfectly. SteamVR recognized the 110Hz and tested the new refresh rate in iRacing. Without changing any of my graphic settings (which are high), game ran smoothly with almost no glitches- only graphical glitch was the edge of the tire in the Skippy was flickering- probably something I can fix by tweaking the iRacing settings. Overall the driving experience in iRacing does seem enhanced- feels smoother than at 90Hz as expected.

Nice job with the FW and PiTool update.

7 Likes

That tire tweaking is Smart Smoothing in action. You must have it enabled in Pitool?

Where can I find the latest FW. I just installed PiTool v259, and I have FW 255, but when I click on check version of FW, it says that there’s no newer FW available.

Thanks for this tip- seems to have been the issue!

For me PiTool 259 had the red dot indicating I needed to update firmware to 264.

I had the red dot indicating I could update to 259, but when I let PiTool update, I got this:

I’m aborting and will try a manual update (instead of using PiTool to auto-update).

@PimaxQuorra, even though I aborted TWICE during the install, the installer continued. Now PiTool says it’s version 259 and won’t let me update to 264! Also, my headset is no longer detected: It says I need to restart the service, but when I do, it apparently doesn’t restart.

Please provide a link to the new PiTool 264 installer. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi Neal,

This is the latest Pitool version - https://pitool.pimax.com/PiToolSetup_1.0.1.259.exe

The download link for 264FW - https://pitool.pimax.com/P2_RELEASE_M264_t20200508200801_r96b28a3.dfu

Sincerely,
Quorra.Pimax

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick reply! The manual install worked.

In case anyone else needs to manually update the firmware, here’s a link and a video explaining how to do it…

3 Likes

Hi Neal,

Great! We are now editing the post for this issue. Hopefully we are able to post a solution for our users by later.

Sincerely,
Quorra.Pimax

2 Likes

There is a simpler way.

2 Likes

Which firmware version should we be using with the 8k+? I upgraded from the 5k plus, was stuck with the red light so I did a clean install of the latest pitool, it didn’t do the firmware update so I manually grabbed the dfu file from the pitool install, and I see it is the p2 dfu file. The thread in here with firmware files says p2 applies to all headsets except the 8k+. What is the correct firmware file for the 8k+?

I used the one in this post (264), on my 8K (non-plus) and it seems to work fine…

Hey guys. I also updated to PiTool 259 again today after downgrading to some version below 244 because of backlight problems. After upgrading firmware as well to 264 (I have a SN 2026 5K+ headset) it solved my backlight problems. Also 110 Hz works perfectly smooth now after having some initial visual problems, which could be solved by resetting settings and restarting my PC! 110Hz is really awesome. Thanks for the upgrade Pimax!

3 Likes

Is 264 for all Pimax headsets?

I tried 3 times and it always fails. It gets stuck at 100% for about one minute then displays “Upgrade Failed - Contact Support”. The headset remains stuck in update mode with the 3 color flashing light. I have then to uninstall, re-install Pitool and restart computer to make it work again. I also tried the manual upgrade but DFUUpgrade reports that it can’t find the USB device. I never had any problems updating firmware before. It’s a 5K+ #203.

I already have 120Hz so I don’t get the point of 110Hz…

1 Like

The 110 Hz option is for the 8K+.

I had the same install problem too. PiTool was upgraded, but not all of the components were. My headset was reported as “not detected”. I manually downloaded the installer and then flashed the firmware.

Here are the details. Read the following posts for links and instructions…

1 Like

Thanks for the response Neal. I edited my post to indicate that when I tried the manual process, DFUUpgrade doesn’t see my device.

You might want to try turning your headset off, reboot your PC, and then power on your headset.

2 Likes

I was finally able to make it work by connecting the headset to my laptop and run DFUUpgrade there:

2 Likes

Anyone has the issue with white bar on both side of screen?110hz have the same problem as pre-alpha firmware.

Hello Maxix,

This is the main problem we are dealing with the 8K+ while running on 110Hz. Our software engineers are working out the solution tor resolve this problems.
For the mean time, if you find these white bars are irritating, you might have to switch to a lower setting.

Sincerely,
Quorra.Pimax

1 Like