8k plus CES 2020

Anyone providing reviews on the 8k plus from CES? Seems as all the focus has been on the X so wondering how the plus stacks up against the 5k plus since several of us here have the 8k plus coming.

8 Likes

Any reviews would be awesome - there was little about anything up to now… but of course that goes especially for the X

4 Likes

While not CES there is an 8k+ review in Spotlight reviews sub category.

2 Likes

8k+ is defenly better then 5k+ but feels like a Product they should not be Selling when they 8k-x can be “downgraded” to 8k+.

3 Likes

Here is a link. Spotlight has the key points from reviewer.

2 Likes

The 8kX has indeed become what Pimax wanted to release originally as the Standard 8k headset. The 8k+ is essentially just a cheaper option that is improved over the 5k+.

4 Likes

Kinda makes it sound like those of us that went for the plus because of lack of patience, and the uncertainty about the 8kx schedule, might have made a mistake lol. Although they will probably benefit from this with me, as I will likely end up ordering the 8kx as well. I switched because I want to wait until the final product is released and I know for sure the software and headset can run stable with a native 4K signal in demanding sims. My preferred sim is iracing, and I have to limit myself slightly and be pretty creative, to run my preferred graphics settings even with a 5k plus.

3 Likes

Ofc but as i see it they should have Artisan low 5k Super mid (xr for oled) and 8k-x for high so 3 steps with oled sharing the midle.

2 Likes

Agreed, I was thinking…

1. Artisan - entry level for new VR consumers and “VR Lite” apps against the cheaper Oculus products

2. 5k+ Super - mid level for PC gaming, against the Index, Rift S (HTC seem to be determined to crash themselves out the market unassisted lol)

3. 8KX - high level for sim and PC gaming, effectively unrivalled as there’s not much sign of a competitively priced rival from XTAL or StarVR for now. Pimax should grab the market for this sector asap and plan accordingly to maintain it. Who knows what might come in the future from rivals, including Index 2, or Rift X

Outside of Asia, I’m not sure they really need anything else. Then they should sort out the naming inconsistency :slight_smile: Why does only the Artisan range get a brand name? Why is it the 5k+ Super and not 5KX etc?

1 Like

Issue with the 8k X is cable length. Not going to have much room scale at 5m.

Maybe im wrong about this index is 5m with 1m beakaway connector so it could be fine

2 Likes

Well just put an itx pc in a backpack mount & use an extension cord. :grin:

3 Likes

Ah yeah good point, well maybe in future the 8K+ (8K+ Super??) could come down further in price and replace the 5k+ Super.

I guess for now the 8KX is indeed going to be less flexible for room scale use, but then a higher proportion of users want it for seated sims anyway. The 8KX “SuperPoet” might fix it later :wink:

3 Likes

Will be interesting to see if we have the gpu power to actually run the thing and get stable frame rate even for seated sims. Especially fast moving racing sims

4 Likes

Damn! That is the solution!! I remember that @VoodooDE did that in one Video once on a Soccer field - so hey with a power cord (get them in like 50m) and the Machine on your back and all Problems are gone! :laughing: (concerning RoomScale :slight_smile: )

EDIT: Link: https://youtu.be/uHQrdDzhWjQ

4 Likes

I disagree, I don’t want to pay hundreds of dollars extra and wait months extra to get a feature I won’t be using anytime soon (native 4k per eye). The 8k+ is exactly what they wanted the 8k to be. By the time I do have a powerful computer, hopefully there will be a better headset to get.

Now, if only they would ship me my 8k+…

8 Likes

You would not pay hundreds of dollars extra becuse the 8k+ should not have been anunced =)

1 Like

They woudn’t have dropped the 8KX price by $300 just because they didn’t announce an 8k+. What would have happened is I wouldn’t have bought any headset at all, and kept my current Pimax 8k. I didn’t order the 8K-X in the Kickstarter for a reason (price for a feature I wouldn’t use, and delayed release), and that reason hasn’t changed just because it’s closer to release.

3 Likes

Actually prior to discovering hardware (bridge chips & GPU power) wasn’t there. The 8kX was what pimax wanted to release. The upscaled 8k was a compromise & the X was by p4k members request was make a limited 400 experimental prototype.

But the 8k+ does provide a good middle ground for an easier pricepoint for SDE haters. Now with presumably smaller panels & RGB there is no doubt. For me no more blocky 5k+ as I found the SDE better on the 8k.

6 Likes

I personally find the 8k+ to be the option that makes more sense. It’s cheaper by a significant chunk, and 4k native is just too intensive for current technology outside of bare bones games. Upscaling fills a spot that has no current competition while being a valid option for mid or mid-high range+ computers. 4k native is a strong feature on paper but barely any consumers can even run it. I still expect it to get sales for the novelty though.

5 Likes

With the 8kX supporting both Native & upscale mode provides best so to speak future proofing. But yes the 8k+ is a good compromise especially if your not fond of SDE or Blockiness of the 5k+. With an easier out of pocket price point.

4 Likes