Since 2016, Pimax BE versions are designed and the best fit for business clients, rather than enthusiasts.
We find it’s necessary to discuss the BE versions openly with you.
BE versions Pimax 2.5K BE(1st generation Pimax BE version in 2016), Pimax 5K BE(2nd generation, still under development) : Requests by business clients, e.g. VR arcade, healthcare, education etc. General consumers, especially those who have limited experiences in VR or PC VR, BE versions can already provide unprecedented experiences and consumers can hardly notice SDE in relatively short time.
Consumer versions Pimax 4K, 5K+, 8K, 8K X: The goal of Pimax is to serve VR enthusiasts. Different from general consumers, people use PC VR every single day usually find SDE kills immersion. We adopt CLPL(customized low persistence liquid) screen in Pimax consumer versions to improve clarify and eliminate SDE for enthusiasts.
VR is an accumulated and balanced experience with impacting factors including: tracking, ergonomics, optics, content, interactions, modules, FOV, latency, and image quality(clarity, ppi, sde, color etc.) In order to reach our goal of creating the most immersive VR experience, we need every element good enough. One or two not-so-great element(s) would impact the whole experience. e.g. The pattern of pixels alone can impact immersion even though other aspects are great.
Thus, OLED does not equal to great VR experience. OLED tech today cannot surpass CLPL tech in terms of PPI and clarity. If you cannot tolerate SDE or you want the excellent clarity, Pimax consumer versions are the best options for you.
Based on the reasons above, we recommend 5K+, 8K, and 8K X, for VR enthusiasts and early adopters.
However, as we find some enthusiasts are interested in BE version. They hope to have more options based on their own preferences.
As always, your wish is our wish. We discussed today and decide to split certain amount from our business units to offer limited units (3000 - 5000) for backers and enthusiasts during pre-order.
In general, the BE versions would be much more expensive than consumer versions. In fact, 5K BE will be even higher than 8K consumer version.
The pricing not a reflection of the value. Because the costs for a BE version consist of product and high customization fees for business clients.
For the best benefits of our backers, we will offer backers special deals:
- Pimax8K backer can add $100 to switch to Pimax 5K BE;
- Pimax5K backers can add $200 to switch to Pimax 5K BE;
- Backers already made a decision, you can still change your mind.
- The above benefits apply to backers who already have received the headsets as well.
To be clear, we will have the following models during the pre-order:
- Pimax 5K S = clpl screen. Standard 5K, demoed during Kickstarter roadshow. For limited countries/regions.
- Pimax 5K Plus = clpl screen. Upgraded panel with higher PPI when comparing to 5K S
- Pimax 8K = clpl screen. SDE free.
- Pimax 5K BE = oled screen. Designed and customized for business clients. * Limited supply for consumers during pre-order, as requested by backers and the community.
Cost and retail price from low to high:
Pimax 5K S < 5K Plus < 8K < 5K BE
SDE from non-visible to visible:
Pimax 8K, 5K Plus, 5K S/5K BE
Please contact email@example.com when you have decided the best headset for you!
To help you to make a decision, we will:
- provide official comparison on the Pimax website;
- ship testing units to reviewers asap; and
- bring the demo to you in meetups.
Upcoming Backer Meetups
Los Angeles 10/23
New York 10/25 - 10/26
San Francisco 10/28 - 10/30
Register here to reserve a spot:
More meetups will be updated on Kickstarter.
Interested in volunteering and meetup partnerships? Please shot an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks again for your support!
The Pimax Team