Best Pitool for the XR/BE Unit?

I have the Pimax XR and running it on Pitool .180. So far so good. If I upgrade to .245/.255 will i have any improvements? If so, what are the upgrades. It seem they only care to make updates to the 8K and the 5k+

Hello VR-tech,

You can update the Pitool to 245/255, but it doesn’t provide any improvements on the XR model.

Sincerely,
Quorra.Pimax

“but it doesn’t provide any improvements on the XR model.”

So you are saying that I should not upgrade since I am not gaining anything. Is there anything planned for the XR? Perhaps better IPD, Barrel Distortion profile improvements? Perhaps making the screen brighter? Right now they are very dim

1 Like

Hello VR-tech,

You may remain the version you have right now.
Indeed, we did receive many suggestions on the upgrading XR model. But we haven’t go thru any planning on the XR at this moment, but hopefully we are able to spark something out in future.

Sincerely,
Quorra.Pimax

“But we haven’t go thru any planning on the XR at this moment”

Let me guess, because you guys have been mainly focusing on 5k and 8k models? (Just facepalm!)

Actually, I’m guessing that they’ve been more focused on the 8K+ and 8KX.

The newer PiTools do have a few tweaks that you might find useful. I used to have difficulty getting my 8K to recognize my base station. The latest driver is much better at that. Unfortunately (at least for LCD headsets) the backlight brightness cannot be adjusted. That’s a temporary issue, which Pimax has said they will fix.

2 Likes

The 5k+ gets constant improvement on colors and now refresh rate up to 120hz. So not just the 8k line up

1 Like

Hello VR-tech,

Yes. Now we are focusing on the 5K + , Vision series and Artisan.

Sincerely,
Quorra.Pimax

I’m interested in the XR but I don’t want to get a headset that may be left behind.

1 Like

It really depends on what aspects of a VR headset are most important to you. OLED panels have a few advantages, but so do LCD panels. I chose LCD mostly for the higher res and lower SDE. Right now, that does seem to be the more popular choice. I do think that the 8KX will have a longer useful lifespan than a 5K XR, but it costs a lot more too.

My suggestion for situations like this is to make a pros and cons list. Roughly rank the items by personal importance. That should help you make a decision with confidence.

1 Like

For me is the distortion profiles

1 Like

The profiles for the existing headsets have been tweaked and may yet improve in the future. So far, the 8K+ and 8KX are said to have the best profiles atm.

I just upgraded to the 255 Beta and the upgrade froze up. I have not tough it since i dont want screw things up. So what is suppose to be done when this happen?

Edit: solved

Dont noticed any improvement

Have you tried these yet?

• Disable any LED case lighting you might have. Some control apps put a lot of data on the USB system. The lighting configuration is likely to be in the bios or maybe in a Windows app.
  • Retest after each change.
  • Try to put the headset on its own plug (or better still, on it’s own circuit).
  • Unplug all USB devices that you can (only keeping mouse, keyboard, VR).

If still no improvement, at least we’ve ruled out many common problems.

I closed the dialogue pop up window, and It worked fine. Did not see any improvement. I tried to changed the HMD lighting option and after restarting the computer, the Pitool can not recognize my XR Unit. I have been switching USB connectors, and nothing.

Does the power indicator light up? What color(s) is it? If it’s flashing red-green-blue, you need to reflash the headset firmware. Those instructions are in several forum threads.

Do the screens turn on, showing the Pimax logo?
Try connecting the headset back to the original USB port.

I installed the new version .253 and now works fine!

2 Likes