Cloud computing & Server based graphics for VR gaming

Hi everyone I was just wondering since there are some Verry intelligent and experienced people here on the forum.
And I’m curious what there opinions are about
Cloud computing and server based gaming for VR
Cause I haven’t really seen a topic on here discussing this kind of approach for future gaming.
Since buying a 6000,- dollar gaming computer is still not giving enough power to put everything on max settings and not having to worry about how smooth everything will run.
I personally definitely underestimated the power needed to go on full force in vr gaming.
But I actually do love the experience it’s already providing.
So Verry curious about everyone’s opinion do you think this will be possible and if company’s will start working to this kind of gaming.
Like having Netflix and other streaming services.
Would we be able to get that extra power needed for vr gaming or will it be impossible because connection being a bottleneck or it is just not possible because it needs allkinds of settings and software unique for specific headsets.
So feel free to respond if you have thoughts or opinions about this!

2 Likes

No way, I am not fond of the idea of renting everything, and that is the direction things are heading.

3 Likes

Me neither but not everyone will be able to spend such a big amount of money on hardware so for some it may be the only option
But I did not make this post for supporting that concept cause I truly hate the globalist agenda
And I will not be part of that this is just ment to discuss if we could be able to harness the power of high fidelity gaming in vr in this way

1 Like

Htc has already has some experimenting with this idea with settop box and an og vive. I think they were trying it in China iirc.

I presume it hasn’t worked out. Monthly Rentals are though likely very expensive to what you will get.

Amd has mentioned though using online to augment things like RT.

In the long run, yes.

In the short run no, in the medium run maybe, specific to the applications.

Non-local computing performance is the future but latency is the single biggest issue; and for VR even more so.

Consider this: for a 90hz HMD, the entire rendering pipeline has a maximum time budget of 11ms (and this is stretching it if you consider motion to photon latency as the relevant metric, i.e. I move my head and if within a max of 11ms the next frame isn’t displayed, issues occur).

Now look at the median latency for a given, B2C internet connection. Running a Quest by streaming from your PC within your WiFi is exactly the same as if the rendering performance happened on the other side of the world; the difference is that current tech will not allow a low enough latency for VR to work without side effects such as nausea and artifacting which are considerably more noticable in VR than any other computing interface.

It will be solved and the direction taken can already be observered for services such as GeforeNOW, Google Stadia etc. but it’s still quite a long way to go.

1 Like

I suspect Sony may lead the pack as they bough the major gaming streaming service site awhile back.

i feel like this kind of thing is still a luxury, if you have to start breaking things down so far as to rent-to-own (and in this case you never even get to the owning point) you should really be budgeting differently to begin with.

Okay well maybe amd’s new tech will make gaming on our home computer a bit less demanding so that we can get better visuals in racing games but Sony has PlayStation now
But the graphics are much lower than the normal PlayStation games
So never been interested in that but I am looking forward to the new PlayStation vr because the rumors sound Verry interesting
Before I was having trouble with playing race games on my 8kx so I bought myself a valve index headset because people talked highly about this headset but I tried it one time and came to the conclusion that if you already have a 8kx than there is no going back to anything else but I finally got my 8kx working right for racing so happy about that last half year was a lot about learning since it’s my first vr headset
But curious to see where the future is going

Yes I agree on that what you are saying but like a friend of mine he has a quest and he played a few times on my 8kx now he totally dislikes his quest and is constantly tinkering with his settings to get something that he just won’t be able to get so for some people this kind of service would be good because if he would buy a 8kx then he would again be disappointed because he would also need to upgrade his computer before getting a satisfactory experience I spend a total of €8000,- to get the most out of it but for him it would be a big effort to be able to buy just the headset.
I’m also not rich but as a carpenter I can easily make money besides my day job and it’s also about liking a hobby enough to spend that extra cash
To me a streaming service would only be interesting if I could get graphics power of like 2 rtx3090 combined and everything works as smoothly as possible but I guess today’s tech is still a long way from that