Demand for GPUs is so high, you could sell a 2080Ti for a lot

Its so crazy how high the demand is for GPUs. Feel like I should’ve held onto my 2080Ti and waited till now to sell it. Instead I had sold it for way less than I bought it back when the 3080 was being hyped up. Kind of ironic people panic selled their old GPUs not realizing how bad the stock availability of 3080s would be.

2 Likes

hi

i have
i7 6850k
rtx 2080ti
32 go ram

and i racing turn at 70 75 hz

1 Like

My card (EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3) seems to be selling for roughly its original purchase price on eBay… which is nothing compared to how inflated the RTX 3090 prices are.

Really, the chip manufacturing business should be subsidized, everywhere.

If you sold your 2080ti right now you’d never get another GPU or you’d be paying an insane premium on the price which would negate any extra money made on the 2080ti sale.

2 Likes

my 3090 is up by 40 percent at the retailer since i bought it. crazy.

2 Likes

5700xts are selling for 1,000, meanwhile my 2070 super sells for less but it’s faster. Weird.

The real proof this is bad? PC gamer posted an article on making a budget build using the 3400g AMD APU since gpus are so low. Since that was posted, 6 days ago, 3400g’s are now worth 350 dollars! You can’t get a 2200g, 3200g, 2400g, or 3400g without paying over DOUBLE msrp. For INTEGRATED! beyond messed up :rofl:

At this point, a laptop with a 3070 is a stellar buy if you don’t have a gaming pc. I feel lucky to already have one… Prebuilts from various manufacturers will get you a cheaper gpu than ebay (HP omen tower with a 3070 is 1300 dollars, 3070 is also 1300 dollars on ebay)

2 Likes

My concern is how much worse the chip shortage might get now that all the fabs in Texas were damaged by storm power outages. From what I know of the chips produced by those companies, and the much older lithography used to make them, those things in particular have to be built for decades of consistency. They can’t just start making new chips again without extensively characterizing everything from the fab itself, to the chips themselves, in very deeply analog ways. Would not surprise me if some of the analog test circuits did not even exist anymore, and had to be redesigned and recharacterized themselves.

With the automotive sector desperate for chips, the analog market desperate for chips, and a potentially small EUVL bottleneck, I am worried this could make high-end CPUs/GPUs (which use rather large amounts of silicon) we need unavailable for most of this year, as we are just consumers, not ‘employers’.

All of which could be very, very bad for the PCVR ecosystem.

2 Likes

I cannot have the first VR experience because there are not gpu to buy

I have at home a special motherboard for vr used by Varjo in one of their system

(for me to tell people what motherboards are used at headquarters is a good idea)

and i also have two towers for base stations

TO MAKE A GOOD REVIEW OF PIMAX 8K X

but it’s all for nothing : my Pimax 8K X is in the box

Yup!
My Rog Strix 1080 Ti 11gb went up for sale a couple of days ago. Someone will probably bite. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This exposes a hidden problem with the “smart” appliance movement. There’s really no need for a chip in a toaster (for example) and if manufacturers cannot get chips, they cannot produce products. This has hit the automotive market big-time, but I expect other industries are also suffering.

Maybe we’ll see a reversal in the IOT (internet of things) movement. I for one, prefer dumb appliances which don’t track me and my habits.

3 Likes

To not see the supply chain reliability issue would require being blinded by capitalistic greed, which manufacturers seem to forced into, or else go out of business to someone else.

Computer chips - faster chips every year in fact - are necessarily a big part of modern economic growth, even without IoT. A lot of the advances in modern medicine - a very obviously important consideration right now - would not have happened without those faster chips. Not to mention being able to work from home, and lots of people being much less bored in quarantine.

This is cause for regulation (of the big chip users) and subsidization (of the lithography tool makers and chip makers) that should have happened decades ago.

In their case though, not only have those electronics running on CAN bus drastically reduced maintenance costs (to them, not us, they still charge us full price for repairs), but CAN bus, the things typically attached to it, etc, are basically the way to go to make a vehicle street legal, apparently.

Seems to me the problem was a combination of bad management (which seems to be an easy perception to reach of manufacturing businesses), lack of decent stockpiles, lack of overcapacity, lack of regulatory oversight, and an unprecedented (though not unforeseeable) global crisis .

2 Likes

Well who knows down the road we may qualify for free rebates like had happened back with menory chips used in the Ps2 and other products due to over charging for them.

Not long ago there was a similar deal on Microsoft products. I think I qualified for around a $100.

No.

Sure we might. It has happened before and will happen again.

I have gained now on several products that were over charged on. Including getting a free $20 from buying bread. And was contacted before as I had done business with Money Mart and received $150.

So the

“No”

has already happened many times in the past and this will continue.

1 Like

Wow. I can hardly believe you actually replied to that. A flat no, and I still get an argument. :wink:

Anyway, no, this will not happen. We are not being over charged. A literal weather storm went through some of the fabs, a global crisis went through the rest, probably a bunch of other things happened, and it’s just bad luck.

Who might get a payout is the auto companies, NVIDIA, AMD, etc, if fabs failed to meet some contractual obligations. However, I would expect contracts for such large scale business to have clauses covering ‘overwhelming’ problems, of which there are plenty happening here. At the very least, it is not worth a large lawsuit against another company that is probably also cash starved. Such payouts might keep some company balance sheets in good shape, but I do not see how that could reach us.

So no. We are not getting a payout.

We are also not getting a lot of chips for a while. Maybe not for the year. On top of everything else that has held back the industry (eg. GPU mining, last year’s product excess/shortage problems, lack of much VR multi-GPU, etc), that’s unfortunate for us PCVR folks.

I was never overcharged for my ps2 however received $20 years later not from Sony but from a memory chip that was used it.

Bread is considerably higher priced at a convenient store vs a grocery store and yet it was a grocery chain that ended up paying out due to apparently charging higher prices on bread(though don’t recall there bread prices not being on par with other grocery chains).

I am sure big manufacturers may have things in place to help absolve them of facing similar fall out. I am sure that the memory chip maker with Dvd players, Playstation 2s etc. Though supply and demand issues would warrant them selling said chips for higher than original price point and was caught off guard having to pay for charging more.

So yes we could likely see in the future similar results. As I am sure MS also though sales from iirc late 90s to mid 2000s having to pay out up to $250(without receipts) for past sales in part was also computers prepackaged with OS & software products.

Now that being said? No one is likely to recover anywhere close to what may have been over paid.

No argument here. Simple history of potential outcomes.

I think it is also worth adding…

WHO CARES

Some payout is not going to make up for missing years of lost industry progress toward PCVR. Best we can really hope for is that the industry might learn from these years of mistakes. Or if not even that, at least EUVL is basically the endpoint that forces the industry to just make more layers, instead of completely overhauling the entire fab. So at least from now on, more machines == more chips .

1 Like

Your correct that people not caring about companies artificially jacking prices up well above there msrp(2x+) for not much real gains from previous generation of product is the problem.

VR needs real optimization from more than just Hardware; it needs it from Software as well. This is why some DeVs just patch outdated engines with poor hardware utilization because as you said:

Who cares.

Our software is still selling and people can just spend more on new hardware. We don’t need to optimize for multi core cpus etc…

I am sure people will pay $3500 to $4000+ for Nvidia’s 4000 series flagship gpus just to gain maybe 5 to 10 fps. No different than buying high powered server gpus for single to dual core software because 4 core cpus are not available with the same single core performance.

2 Likes

Increasing prices is not the problem. Constraining what the high-end can do is. You seem to care more about the pricing, and less about the technology.

I just want to make sure we get VR to where it needs to be. That is pretty much all I care about.

2 Likes

Then you fail to see how both are related. We both know there is better tech then what is released to the consumer. It is all about maximizing profits in pc tech. The Nvidia 3000 series is what should have been what the 2000 series wasn’t.

Both times the prices were over inflated to 2x+ msrp release. VR in general cannot advance to where it needs to be as the software is not properly optimized; especially in old archaic game engines that do not make use of what is available and then on top of that are patched so you can play in VR opposed to flat.

Now where are we seeing Hardware better utilized? Standalone headsets and consoles. Consoles whom have had to squeeze what is used to the fullest of what was used in a given console release.

So brute force with stronger hardware does nothing to get the software optimized to use what has been there for a long time. FoveVR demonstrated long ago Foveated rendering long before turing architecture came available and as has Oculus whom has had agnostic foveate rendering techniques to Developers to use in building programs.

Unoptimized programs are also a major player in holding things back in VR.

On aiming for the sky have you considered Nvidia Gpus aimed at powering roadside TVs? Sure iirc there something like $5000+ and do scale. I recall Linus demoing iirc using 3 to power a 10k 16:9 display array.

1 Like