Difficulty Configuring Pitool

I can’t seem to post on the Pitool forum so posting here.

I’m a new owner of an Artisan and these are my issues:

Yesterday’s version of 255 would not let me change Hz. It was suggested that I try 259 which I did but that won’t allow me to pair my vive controllers (the option is greyed out - I tried lots of times restarting etc). Went back to 255 version today but this time it’s different as now there is a drop down box for changing Hz whereas yesterday there where separate boxes with each option spread horizontally. This time it did let me change Hz (at first) only it took about 3 minutes to recognise the headset after each change (not exaggerating as I started to time it) and then after a few changes it stopped recognising the headset altogether.

I wasn’t expecting this much hassle.

2 Likes

That’s odd. It can be finnicky to change the refresh rate, sometimes it reboots a few times before it settles in. Minutes however, that seems very excessive. For me, maybe 30 seconds tops. You can confirm in steamvr that the refresh is working. I use 120Hz exclusively on my 5k.

The drop down menu does seem correct. Given the information you’re stating, what firmware are you using? check for a firmware update in pitool. If this persists, I’d just try deleting pitool, redownloading and installing it. I’ve had errors nobody else has had here, and they were completely fixed in doing that.

These hmds take some tinkering, but right now my 5k+ works as easily as a vive.

1 Like

Hi thanks for quick reply.

I’ve already tried re-installing Ptool (and steam even) a number of times (steam only once!). I’ll take a look at firmware.

1 Like

Pairing disabled when using .259? Was the lighthouse tracking option enabled?

4 Likes

Often you need to do the roomscale setup again depending on the situation and changes to steam. Did you update steam VR and the Nvida Drivers? I know, stupid questions, but just in case…

1 Like

Moved topic. Were you trying to Post in Pitool or Pitool\Discussion?

Pitool is the Parent Category you need to select the Sub.

2 Likes

but did you enable lighthouse tracking or is it on 9-axis? controllers dont work with 9-axis

3 Likes

That was the problem - thanks for pointing that out. I didn’t know there was another tracking option and version 255 that I tried first defaulted to lighthouse!

So I’ve been testing with Pitool 259 and still have the problem changing Hz. If it does it at all it’s still taking like 3 minutes to recognise the headset after a change. Strangely if I start a steam VR game from my monitor sometimes it forces it to recognise the headset and starts working (but sometimes not and I have to re-boot everything).

2 Likes

Changing Hz seems to be a major undertaking, requiring the headset to reset, but for me, I think it’s about 30 sec or so. (I don’t do it very often and I haven’t actually timed it.)

3 Likes

I haven’t had a Pitool since 180 (I think) that saved all my settings globally. In one PT version it kept loading 90 Hz and SS On as default. When I started using PT 245 and now 249 it saves the 72 Hz and SS Off but now default loads to Small FOV despite saving Normal.
It would be nice if the save buttons saved all the settings globally, all the time. Otherwise PT 249 working fine for me,

5 Likes

Same for me, takes maybe 30 seconds at the most. I wonder what could cause it. Is the Usb Bus OK, not overly busy that something messes up when it shortly resets?

2 Likes

Is it USB 2 or 3 it needs - I think I may have it plugged into a USB 2 thinking about it so I’ll try it in a USB 3 port (I’ve banned myself for a day from the computer though so can’t try until tomorrow - or I’ll spend the whole day on it!!)

3 Likes

No worries, we are here😀.
I know how that is, but mostly my family manages to drain my powers so none are left for late night gaming :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s usb 2.0 but I’ve had major issues if I don’t plug it into an isolated 3.1 port tbh. It was years ago, so I can’t really fault pimax on the design but I think personally it should be usb 3 considering the amount of potential usb issues you can run into