Do we need 3d blu-rays in 8k to fully enjoy Pimax 8kx?

I see that thare are many blurays in 3d.
Anyway it seems no one of them is recorded in 8k. They are alla 4k 3d.
Since on pimax 8kx we have 2x4k screens my question is:

are the 3d 4k blurays enough of to fully enjoy the incredible resolution of Pimax 8kx or we would need 8k blurays?

When using movie application rendition is inferior to 4K per eye, I thing you will see the same improvement if you look a 8K resolution movie on a 4K screen… not much if you 4K source is not to compressed.

Don’t think 8K will be supported by BluRay standard?

1 Like

The other thing to consider is that a 4k movie on a 4k tv fills the whole screen, and uses all the pixels.
In a VR headset, even one with 4k per eye panels, you are never going to fill the entire panel with movie.
If you do (by bringing the virtual screen “closer”), it becomes uncomfortable (try watching a 4k movie on a 4k tv with your face less than six inches from the screen to get an idea of how uncomfortable it is).
So you are now going to downscale the 4k movie to fit in the less than 4k taken by the virtual screen.
Probably still better than 1080p 3d, but not quite the same experience as 4k on a tv.
I suppose curved “screens” or fish eye modes would mitigate this issue by filling more of the FOV, but I haven’t tried that yet.

Do you need 3D Blu-Ray in 8k resolution to reach the point of diminishing returns when watching these videos with the 8kX?

Yes. Having done some stuff in Virtual Desktop with an 8kX unit, I know the angular resolution is closer to a virtual 8k screen than a virtual 4k screen. There are good reasons we use supersampling at higher resolution when rendering content to VR headsets, and this always applies in 3D space.

This is even more true if the virtual screen is very large (~180deg) and the footage is correspondingly suitable for the larger ‘IMAX’ displays.

You can one of the best ‘IMAX’ theaters out of the 8kX, albeit the headset is heavier, less comfortable, and more alignment sensitive than the polarized glasses used at theaters.

As the question is originally stated though, Do we need 3d blu-rays in 8k to fully enjoy Pimax 8kx?

No. Not unless all you do is watch movies. Seriously, there is more to life, especially in VR. Learn to fly little bird! :wink:

2 Likes

And it would be sad to need something that doesn’t exist in the consumer market

Based on what I saw at CES 2020, there will be strong demand and supply for that kind of 8k ‘home theater’ cinema content, not to mention YouTube.

But to buy an 8kX just to watch movies…

Not so long ago all movies was not even shot in 4K

True. Even large IMAX film prints were really equivalent to 2k IIRC. However, these days video ‘content’ for the latest resolution tends to follow a year or two after release of TVs/cameras capable of that resolution.

CES 2020 had a ton of 8k/4k TVs with demo videos showing the difference. I have to admit, the 8k footage showed more detail than I would have expected possible without a VR headset.

Yes but normally in VR you see all the screen not just looking part of with greater resolution, it’s a movie experience not a game. so 8K on 4K is not so better then 4K on 4K don’t say no difference but most of the time 4K video we have are really to compress. You can’t compare a 4K to compress video with a 8K.

Bluray aren’t even easily watchable on a PC because of DRM…

I’m not sure what you are trying to say here, but higher than 4k resolutions are indeed highly useful with the 8kX headset. Pixels from textures (including video on virtual screens) are not exactly aligned to pixels on VR displays. Even Virtual Desktop supersampling does not address this fully.

This becomes most plainly obvious when playing a game like Freespace 2, or a flight simulator, through Virtual Desktop, on a 4k virtual screen, ideally with OpenTrack simulated TrackIR. Text and graphics look chunky enough it is plainly obvious that an 8k virtual screen would be better.

Only speaking for movies here, 4k good aliasing and proper video processing can replace 8K material. in ** normal viewing distance full screen is sight** even in VR. If you play a good source 4K uncompressed properly process you will no find much difference with 8K source on the 8kX.

Other usage are totally different, video in game where you apparent resolution can go higher then 8K is another thing…

Blu-ray 3D titles sold to the public are full HD frame-packing; Pimax5K+/8K/8K+/8KX cannot play directly on this format.

With a proper player, it is possible to play top and bottom or side-by-side 3D video. However, in cases like VirtualDesktop, the rendering area per eye is limited to the actual resolution of the main display. This is where video playback differs greatly from VR titles.

This means that to get full HD 3D video per eye, the physical main display must be 4K or higher.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 596 hours unless flagged)

Oups think I miss read or interpreted the question thanks to @Jien1963D reminded me of something. My argument for was single 4K material, 3D blu-ray are not 4k per eyes!

So yes 8K Blu-ray would be needed to enjoy 8K-X if it’s include 4K stereo 3D specification because Ultra HD Blu-ray doesn’t!!

Couldn’t find any 4k 3d bluray, all I saw was fullhd 3d.

Ripping your own 3d bluray to full-sbs, 8kx should be able to fully utilize the 3840x1080 source, no?

I know I will be ripping my blurays to test on the 8kx, I already did on gearvr and it looked nice (for gearvr)

4k good aliasing and proper video processing can replace 8K material. in ** normal viewing distance full screen is sight**

Ok, now I get your point. You are wrong. My guess is that you are basing that opinion on ‘research’ showing human visual acuity is close to 4k resolution. IIRC, that ‘research’ is based on screens placed somewhat far away, and ignores visual hyperacuity, which I have mentioned on this forum before.

Actually seeing demos of roughly 65 inch screens a few feet away at 8k resolution is indeed quite amazing. Individual pixels on this 4k 65inch screen I am using now are plainly visible, so it makes sense there would be room for improvement.

not find much difference with 8K source on the 8kX

Not much is debatable. I think there is a large difference.

video in game where you apparent resolution can go higher then 8K is another thing…

Not in this case. Game footage was rendered as if to a monitor, and viewed through virtual desktop. That’s equivalent to recording it, and watching it later. Higher than 4k resolution, up to about 8k, is better.

Kudos for being another hardcore sticking to FS2/SCP!

1 Like

Oh, same to you too! :wink:

Also, FS2/SCP really does get that immersive ‘VR’ feel in the 8kX with TrackIR emulation and maybe a virtual flight deck. A bit painful (something about the TrackIR not being exactly calibrated, having a little lag, or things being 2D, etc), but it works, and it is rather immersive. You can competently do ‘formation flying’ in FreeSpace like that and barrel roll into enemy formations, which I always found near impossible to do any other way.

I would really love to see FS2/SCP ported to VR. A rewrite from scratch doesn’t seem too hard, considering FS2 itself seems to be one big BASIC (the programming language) script interpreter.

1 Like

Will try that. Hope my track IR 4 I have buried somewhere is still working and supported in Win10

@Klaus No, not with TrackIR. With a Pimax Vision 8kX, emulating TrackIR, through OpenTrack, all viewed through Virtual Desktop. MUCH more immersive!

Just remember to set a center deadzone and try to get roughly 1:1 mapping outside that with OpenTrack settings.

1 Like