So, on the 17th of January I raised my 2nd support ticket with Pimax to RMA my 5k+ due to a cracked case. When I raised the ticket after having previously been through the process which took 3 months to resolve, I did it to see if the support process had improved before investing in an 8KX.
Basically, there was no way I would buy another Pimax product if the support was of the same poor quality, especially given the value of the 8KX. Had the experience been improved I intended to use the current owner upgrade program and sell the 5K+ on. I raised the ticket and got a pretty rapid response asking for additional details. Great I thought, things have improved. I provided the additional details and photos of the cracks etc and then received a reply asking if I would accept a $50 coupon and a silicone sleeve. Again, the responses were pretty quick and a vast improvement on my previous experience with support. I declined the offer and stated that I intended to buy an 8KX and sell the 5k and would lose a lot of money on the 5k if I sold it with the cracks. I then received an offer of $350 off when I bought the 8KX. Great I thought but let me just check that I could use this discount with the current owner upgrade offer, the deadline for the offer was fast approaching and I didn’t want to miss it, so asked the question. At this point radio silence. Given it was CNY and the CV outbreak etc I left it a couple of days and then asked for an update/answer to my question, still no reply. Keep in mind it’s been mentioned that support would be covered by the US team during this period on the forums. Still nothing. A week or so later I get a reply stating I couldn’t use the coupon with the upgrade program. This makes absolutely no sense, had I gone ahead and purchased the 8KX using the upgrade program it would have cost more or less the same as the discount I was offered and I would’ve then been in a position to RMA the 5K and sell it on. So basically, the offer of a discount instead of an RMA was costing me money as the offer was exactly the same upgrade program discount for someone who had a 5k that wasn’t cracked! I went back and stated this and was offered an insulting $15 increase lol! Obviously, I declined, and I’ve basically given up on Pimax and requested an RMA which I’ve been told will be done via China. Great so unlike before there are now no European based service / return centres so this will no doubt take weeks to resolve. Great move Pimax!
Although this has been a pain, on the bright side at least I didn’t invest any more money in this sham of a company. Yes, the technology is great and ahead of the game at the moment, but for me personally I’ll take my money elsewhere because the tech really doesn’t make up for the poor support and poorly constructed devices. I hope for all those that have bought 8KX’s and 8K+'s you don’t have any problems. I don’t hold out much hope to be honest given the historical short comings of the company and the products they sell. If you’re thinking of buying a Pimax device my advice would be DON’T, it’s good tech poorly executed which will no doubt let you down as will the resulting support.