Help 8kx has become laggy / unusable

So since Wednesday, my 8kx has become unusable for reasons I cannot determine. Steam VR Home will not load and all other games have a FPS which is unusable. The screen only updates every 5 seconds or so and there’s loads of blacked out area. In addition, I sometimes am getting the infinite mirror effect with whatever is being displayed.

I’ve tried verifying SteamVR files, completely reinstalling SteamVR, and completely reinstalling Pitool.
The only change I can determine is loading Odyssey for ED, but I have no idea why this would impact anything else.

Anyone have any ideas? I’ve wasted a couple of hours trying to figure this out already and I’m ready to give up. This is driving me crazy. Thanks all for any help you can offer!

1 Like

It sounds like there is a problem with your graphics card. Did you start the administrator with the helmet on? And check the usage data of the monitor graphics card?

1 Like

It’s possible that Microsoft’s most recent Windows 10 patch could be the source of your problem, since it occurred on Tues, May 18th. Microsoft usually updates on Tuesdays, so if a computer starts acting up on Wednesday, it’s the first thing I investigate.

Source: Windows 10 update history (microsoft.com)

There are various tips as to how to increase Windows responsiveness. (Just search the web.) Also, you might try UserBenchmark.com to check your system performance. Another useful tool is ProcessLasso, which can help reduce thread contention and prioritize your games. (I use both.)

2 Likes

Hi thanks for responding! What do you mean by the ‘administrator’? How do I check the usage data of the monitor graphics card?

Hi! Thanks for trying to help me!

I ran UserBenchmark as suggested (report is attached). It seems the PC is working properly…

I also installed ProcessLasso as you suggested but I don’t see anything which could be an issue.

Any other thoughts on what could be causing this?

Thanks again!

Interestingly, if I set to upscaling in Pitool, SteamVR Home will open but is unusable (infinite mirror, lots of blacked out area, some of the Steam VR grid is overlaid, etc), while in native mode it never loads (stuck on loading).

What about regular games on your monitor? No issues? Is ED ok just on your monitor?

On your problems with the Droste effect it almost sounds like your display buffer isn’t getting properly cleared.

I suggest you do a clean install on your Nvidia driver. When you run the NV install in one of the initial dialogs there is a box for “clean” install.

Also I suggest you install the pimax experience as it will check your steamvr ini settings and modify them.

1 Like

Interestingly I have had the exact same problem on my old 5k+. Back then I searched the forum but couldn’t find any similar experiences, so this doesn’t seem to happen a lot.

In my case it definitely was related to the hardware of my 5k+ since this didn’t happen on any other headset, nor on my 8k-X. One thing I noticed was that the DP connector of my 5k+ was a bit greasy and that had mixed with some dust. Once I cleaned that, it did seem to perform better (I’d have this problem less often) but it still happened every now and then. I also tried everything back then, but in the end gave up. But yeah, this definitely seems pimax hardware related. If you still have warranty I’d suggest to RMA it.

1 Like

Hi :
you may first try the solution provided from the community.
If it doesn’t work, may need to submit a ticket to our helpdesk.
Our technician will be help you to diagnose the problem.

Sincerely.

Update on this… I could not find a solution. I did look on the web and found that others had the same issue which was eventually resolved automatically, and the same happened to me. After about 3-4 days of the headset essentially being a paperweight, it started working again. No idea what the problem or solution was.

Yeah same here but problem always came back. It only happened on my 5k never on the 8kx so I figured it’s a hardware issue

check steamtours.exe
i m at 100% on my 3090 with steamhome enable
its a fu… bug maxi lag etc…

I think that’s a different issue. See the original post in this thread, it’s not just laggy but there’s some weird stuff going on, which I experienced exactly like that too “Steam VR Home will not load and all other games have a FPS which is unusable. The screen only updates every 5 seconds or so and there’s loads of blacked out area. In addition, I sometimes am getting the infinite mirror effect with whatever is being displayed.”

I get weird lag issues when im running [Native] @ [75hz]
regardless of the render quality set.
Not sure why… but its at least a stop-gap if you care,