How to Get a 5K+ to Work on Windows 7

Does anyone know how to get a 5K+ to work on Windows 7? In the SteamVR window the 5K+ HMD is flashing and I can only see the Pimax logo and stars when I put the headset on. Also, when I first plug the HMD in, I got an error message saying that “Device driver software was not successfully installed” or something like that. So it may have something to do with the driver.

Can you post your system specs?

1 Like

System Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING
CPU: 8th Generation Intel Core i7(-8700)
RAM: DDR4, 16 GB, 2133 MHz (Kingston HyperX)
Graphics card: NVidia GeForce RTX 2070, GDDR6, 8GB, 1650 MHz (ASUS DUAL-RTX2070-8G)

Headset works when I install Windows 10 on this machine. HTC Vive works on this machine when running Windows 7.

Hi Grechy, I have exactly the same problem.

Here’s what I posted about it and what I tried, but unfortunately didn’t work :

I will update to Win10 if I don’t find a fix.

1 Like

Hi Ricou

I’ve tried a fresh copy of Win 7 and it didn’t fix the problem.

I haven’t tried loading a game, but I can change the color of the light on the front of the headset and I can hear audio through the headset when I attach headphones. So it looks as if we have the same problem.

I’m sort of thinking that it may not be a tracking problem. This is because, it takes a long time for my headset to lock onto the tracking system, in Win 10 and their are tracking issues with 5K+: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OM34aSpq2w

I’ve also downloaded PiTool’s source code from GitHub and there is a Win 7 driver called STTub30.sys in the PiTool-master\PiTool_setup\dfudriver\Win7\x64\x64 folder. However, I can’t find the device that used this driver in Device Manager. I did find this driver in C:\Windows\System32\drivers. I need to do some reading about this driver.

I’ve also opened a ticket about this and haven’t received an answer.

I think we have a good argument for asking help with this. Valve has found that the number of uses accessing Steam using Win 7 increased in Dec 2019 and is almost 19%: https://news.softpedia.com/news/surprise-surprise-windows-7-up-windows-10-down-in-latest-steam-numbers-528421.shtml

and there are still security updates for Win 7, i.e. paid ones. So hopefully Steam and others will not drop support for Win 7 in the near future.

Yeah, Win 10! If you do install it be prepared to sit around for a while. When I installed Win 10, I waited for about an hour for it to install updates.

1 Like

No one is going to support a platform which is officially unsupported by Microsoft (the paid support is mainly for companies which for one reason or other have to still run Win 7).

On the other hand, no one is preventing you from running Win 7, but you are on your own.

Pimax should clarify though whether they support it or not to avoid bad surprises.

5 Likes

So, why exactly do you still use win 7? It’s no longer supported by microsoft, will not get security updates anymore… More and more things will stop working; just update to win 10?

2 Likes

I submitted and updated to Win10.
I’m not regretting it for now, and the headset finally works.

Good luck to you, man.

2 Likes

Asus release a Win 7 driver for its RTX2080S graphic card three days after Microsoft dropped support for Win 7.

So Asus still supports Win 7 or at least for some of its hardware.

As I understand it, the 5K XR was design for commercial use and as risa2000 said some companies have their reasons to continue with Win 7. If Pimax is marketing the 5K XR for commercial use, Pimax should still support Win 7 for this headset and may be for their other headsets as well.

There are many reasons to continue to used Win 7. Some are discussed here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-annoying-unsupported-hardware-pop-ups/b7f7ed01-c25c-4494-89d8-5df1a6983caa?messageId=2af3c6d2-65ba-41cb-8b56-f8272ffa4989

I would upgrade to Win 10 if the games that I play run better on it. However, the games that I play don’t seem to run any better on Win 10. With the exception of games that run on Direct X 12, has anyone found that games run better on Win 10?

I agree, Pimax should clarify whether they support Win 7.

1 Like

I got it to work on Win 7! I downgraded to version 1.0.1.132 of PiTool.

2 Likes

Glad you got it working. I understand the frustration of having to start from scratch when upgrading windows, but I really recommend upgrading to W10. It’s not that games run better, you’re just going to have massive compatibility issues moving forward.

When i first got a ryzen I had to use a ps/2 mouse and keyboard wireless combo to get into windows because usb isn’t supported in W7. That’s just a single example of the kind of BS you’ll soon be dealing with constantly.

I work in the aerospace industry as an engineer, and we JUST upgraded to W10 (forced to due to security reasons). People are still complaining, but performance aside, the user experience is just miles better. With anything it takes some time to get used to but W7 feels archaic to me now.

3 Likes

Yes, I agree installing Win 7 on a modern machine is a pain. I used a PS/2 keyboard and EZInstaller. I’ve been able to make Win 7 secure for little while.

However, I’ve run into another problem. I can’t get Smart Smoothing to work on Win 7 and I need this feature for a game I play. I’ve contacted Pimax support about this and this feature uses libraries only found in later version of windows. So Microsoft has done something to improve Windows in the last 9 or so years!

I’ve just brought a NVMe drive and I’m planing to install Win 10 on it (this should get Win 10 running as fast or faster than Win 7). As well as this I’m planing to move this game and its plugins and maybe other games and 3D modeling programs that I use to this drive.

My biggest problem that I have with Win 10 is that Microsoft is forcing updates other than for security. I’m currently looking for a way around this. I’m also looking into using Linux for the other tasks that I do on my PC. Another reason for thinking of using Linux is that I heard that Linux is getting into PC gaming.

Win 7 does look archaic but surprisingly in most areas it keeps up with Win 10 despite being 11 years old!

1 Like

Linux is indeed getting better with games. More Devs are creating linux native games.

Plus you have things like Steam Proton

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Proton-4.11-7-Released

And lutris and more

We just need headset linux driver to get closer.

And I heard that the games written to run on both the Windows and Linux platforms run better on Linux. Hopefully this is the beginning of a new era. The end of Windows dominance.

I probably wouldn’t play a non-VR-game now. So yes we need Linux drivers for headsets.

1 Like

All this, push push push to Windows 10 has to be for a reason. Why on Earth did Microsoft give it away free at the beginning for a long time? Isn’t that very suspicious? Is everyone so gullible? MS and all software and hardware companies had a very loose and flexible backwards compatibility going back several generations in the past. Since 10 was introduced it’s been nothing but “upgrade or die!” even from users. Something very underhand is going on. They want you off everything else and only on 10 for a reason. It can’t just be that they can’t be bothered ensuring backwards compatibility as that has never been a problem before and has always been a staple of computing. Also why are newer versions so rigid and less configurable and controlling? Something is up.

That has been Microsoft model since Windows released as an OS. So nothing new save in theory W10 is supposed to be the final as a rolling release.

XP -> Vista/W7 intended W8 now replaced by W10.

Not really because older operating systems were supported a lot longer, if not by MS then by hardware and software companies Windows 8 is only 8 years old now but for the last 4 or so everyone’s been trying to get rid of it and support is getting less and less.

It makes sense for MS to try and kill support for old Windows versions now that they have adopted a rolling release.

I recall XP some were still trying to keep it going and one group was working on was it DX11 or DX12? Can’t remember which but it didn’t go very far.

Windows 8 was like Vista the failed releases. Just to get people happy they released 8.1 to return the start menu.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.