How to install the beta firmware?

Hi all.
How do we install the new firmware? I downloaded the beta for 90hz, but I’m not sure how to install it. I’ve searched the forum here, and I must have missed the post with instructions. Can anyone point me towards it? Or post the instructions?
Thanks
finn

1 Like
4 Likes

You can run the dfu.exe in pitool main directory and choose firmware file to flash.

1 Like

I ran dfu.exe, but then the headset failed. Pitools thinks it’s connected, but I get only the fainter red ‘standby’ light. Also, when I tried to update pitools to .70, that failed. It kept telling me that files needing updating were in use by dfu.exe, even tho’ the update process was supposed to have closed dfu, and it didn’t show up in task manager when I ran that. I tried rebooting the computer- no difference. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting the HMD from the system… again no joy.
So… I’m out of ideas.

1 Like

Not sure then. Might be an idea to file a ticket with support.

I do recall in a previous pitool that for the 8kX it was saud to only hookup the usb(no DP) for firmware flashing.

I tried that. Here’s the problem. Windows and the Pitools installer both think that dfu.exe is still running.
I uninstalled pitools, but that left dfu.exe and some related files intact in the pimax folder. They cannot be deleted because windoze thinks dfu.exe is running. BUT>>> according to task manager dfu is NOT running- at least not where TM can see it.
Any ideas?

Yikes.

2 Likes

Reboot your system.

It sounds like dfu did not exit cleanly for some reason. Rebooting stops all running tasks and dfu is not an app which should auto-start when Windows is launched.

2 Likes

I did a restart- maybe it needs a full cold boot?

1 Like

Yes. If that doesn’t work, there’s a standalone utility which will flash the ROM. I’ll hunt up a link, while you reboot.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m off to bed now as it’s after midnight here, but i’ll try the cold boot tomorrow.
Cheers!

2 Likes

LOL! It’s after 2am here… :slight_smile:

Here’s a link to that utility:
DFUupgrade.zip - Google Drive

Here’s a video guide:
PIMAX FOR DUMMIES #1: Getting Started with Pimax 8K & 5K+, Tweaks, Hints & Firmware Update Tutorial - YouTube

2 Likes

Hi Neal.
I’m afraid it didn’t work. Rebooting the system allowed me to finish deleting pitools, and I reinstalled the program from Pimax’s pitool page. However, dfu.exe was missing from the runtime folder. So I ran this dfuupgrade program (unzipped from your link) and it seemed to work, but still no dfu.exe anywhere in the Pimax folders.
Argh.
Finn

1 Like

Just filed a support ticket with Pimax. Hopefully they’ll resolve it quickly- they’ve been quite quick in helping me previously.

2 Likes

DfuSeCommand usually works for me. Make sure you have

• the stm_dfu_3040_64 driver that comes with it installed
  • PiService not running
  • the 8kX in firmware upload mode (see video above: unplug, press both volume buttons+on, release on, plug in, release first volume button, release second volume button - leds should circle now between colors)
  • not sure whether it’s needed, but shouldn’t hurt: run the command line tool from which the command is started as administrator
  • run: DfuSeCommand 0 P2_RELEASE_8KX_90HZ_Beta.dfu
    This works for me (while the DFU tool doesn’t)
3 Likes

Hi Noam,
This is similar to the procedure Pimax support suggested. I was able to get the HMD into dfu mode using their method, but to do that I had to unplug the usb3 cable, the second usb cable, and the GPU cable.
If I didn’t do that, the 8kx jumped out of dfu mode and back to red light mode in seconds.
Once I got a stable dfu mode, with all connectors but USB 3 (blue) disconnected, I was able to use the command line as per PImax’s instructions.
However, as soon as I plugged in the GPU cable and second USB cable, I got a windows message saying that the usb device I just plugged in had malfuntioned. And in device manager, it shows up as an unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed).
Hmm.
Not sure what to do know. Would resetting my computer to an earlier restore point help?
Cheers
finn

1 Like

I think you don’t even have to plug in the Displayport cable for the update, the usb cables might be sufficient.
Hm, for me it stays in transfer mode once I got it into that state - until the update has succeeded.
You could try to uninstall any Pimax related drivers and services and only install the stm_dfu transfer driver.
Or do you have another computer to try it with? It doesn’t need to be powerful enough to run the 8kX, just for updating the firmware.

1 Like

Good idea, I’ll try to update the 8KX with my I7 laptop. It should certainly be powerful enough to do that. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Ok… I tried to update it on my laptop. All I could get was a flashing white light.
So… I tried again on my desktop pc. I got to the flashing manual DFU mode, and successfully ran the command line. But then I got a flashing white (I think) light on the 8KX, and I am unable to figure out what to do next.
It’s a character builder.

Was the update command successful? If yes, unplug the 8kX, wait a little, plug it in again (now with DP cable in case you hadn’t connected that one) and try again. Perhaps try to reinstall PiTool (particularly in case you have uninstalled it). And try other USB ports - cannot hurt.
Did the 8kX work with this PC before the update? If it’s recognized in PiTool, try to switch to a resolution that worked (like native@75 Hz).
Otherwise - best contact support (perhaps ask for Doman Chen).

2 Likes

The headset is bricked. I’ve tried everything support has suggested, and all that happened is that it went into a ‘flashing green power button mode’ and windows tells me every time I try to do the command line manual DFU mode that the 'USB device I just plugged in has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it."
I think it’s porked. Still hoping that support can figure something out.