May 24th start date for the production scale pilot

May 24th start date for the production scale pilot

Any news on it? :slight_smile:

@PimaxUSA
@PimaxQuorra

3 Likes

The latest version will likely begin being built on the 25th and go through testing processes etc and this build are indeed ones we expect will be shipped once the SMAS rolls off the line. I think this is likely because the changes from the previous build version are all minor cosmetic items.

We’ll see how fast we can do the material change for the MAS head slider. BTW it’s the same slider for the DMAS as well so it benefits too.

11 Likes

So you are like 95% sure mass production will begin on the 25th? And then you’ll ship out the first headsets once the SMAS is ready which is like in 10 days max?

5 Likes

Do you know what the likelihood of getting through all existing 8KX orders before August would be? I’m moving by then but intend on preordering the 8KX sometime in early June.

3 Likes

Given Pimax’s history regarding dates, if the timing of delivery is important to you, I would recommend that you assume there will be further unexpected delays. It’s entirely possible that Pimax will start shipping soon, but given the pandemic, further delays are likely (and they might not even be Pimax’s fault, such as delays due to part delivery or shipping issues).

If you need an accurate delivery date and tracking info, you are better off waiting a few extra months and ordering it from Amazon.

11 Likes

It’s usually a bad sign when @PimaxUSA ignores my specific questions. He didn’t mention “mass production” in his response.

2 Likes

lol I made a good choice to buy an 8K+ before shipping my 8KX huh. I thought you are building complete 8KXs which do not need further testing but it wasn’t.
It would be extremely good to see 8KX shipping starts at least in July.

4 Likes

That’s what I should have done months ago but I wanted to wait so that my first impression would be perfect because it would include MAS with audio. I’m not buying anything else from Pimax until they fulfill my 8KX order.

4 Likes

One interesting thing about my 8K+ order is that Pimax shipped controllers and base stations of 8K+ bundle before shipping my Plan F order placed more than 40 days ago…

2 Likes

Pimax should be completely honest about how much longer it’s going to take to ship the 8KX. If it’s more than a month, give buyers the option of switching to the 8K plus instead of depriving them the opportunity to experience a Pimax headset for months on end.

Maybe they could have a program where they send out 8K Plus headsets to 8K-X customers, and then when the X is finally ready, we can return the Plus to get the X. Sure, that might cost them more in shipping but I think a lot of us wouldn’t mind paying a bit extra to participate in such a program.

5 Likes

This is indeed almost the most damaging thing to their brand. The headsets are fine but it’s the toying with customers who are enormous fans of the tech that will be received very emotionally and not in a good way.

4 Likes

@PimaxUSA
When do you start Mass Production of the 8KX? 25 or when?
The 8KX can be produced independently of SMAS.

4 Likes

I’m not PimaxUSA, but they’ve replied to this question here (I think?):

I’d say after the testing of the initial batch is done (4 days or so after), the mass production would begin

4 Likes

It should share the same slider as @SweViver already confirmed that the SMAS can upgrade to DMAS via speaker modul.

2 Likes

Does that not rather explain the process as it relates to an individual unit:

each unit spends approx. 2 days on the assembly line from start to finish, then undergoes the QA testing procedure, e.g. simply letting it run for say 24h to see if it shows any malfunction during such run, and some other functionality check tests according to their QA protocol, and if it clears that test successfully it is packaged for delivery.

So a single unit takes approx. 5-7 days from start of it’s individual production until it is ready for shipment, it would appear.

2 Likes

hopefully they will give smas then send out dmas upgrade later for the dmas people then, maybe we have to pay postage extra.

2 Likes

@SweViver confirmed that detail for backers. Backers who upgraded to DMAS will receive SMAS first then the DMAS speakers later when ready.

2 Likes

Not sure about that. :thinking:
I am looking for a way to get 8KX with SMAS from another pledge account’s stretch goal and DMAS later.

Have Pimax clarified which customers qualify as 8KX “backers?” I purchased in January this year, prior to the Pre-Order button and messaging being added to the product page. I bought the headset with DMAS. Going to be pretty damn pissed if someone who ordered the headset w/SMAS after me get theirs before I do just because I don’t qualify as a “backer.” If there is no loaner SMAS, I’d be happy with just the headset. Ship me the DMAS when its ready, I’ll figure out audio in the meantime.

A backer is someone who backed the product originally on Kickstarter. You are not a backer. Backer upgraders get their headset after the original 8kx backers. This is part of the whole deal of being a backer and having risked their money years ago.

10 Likes