My Eyetracking finally arrived. What do I actually have to do to get use out of it. I have an RTX card

I’ve been hearing all sorts of USB shenanigan’s and other stuff.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Mine is sat in a box. I don’t want to buy another cable to run from my PC to my headset to get it to work properly, and I don’t have the time/patience to read through 250+ posts in the link above. I’m just looking out for pitool releases that state it’s all sorted. If there’s a physical reason why it will never work properly with the 8KX without an extra cable that would be good to know though as I’d seek to refund it on the grounds of false advertising.

1 Like

They’re working on 120Hz via USB 2.0 so You won’t need to soon… :wink:

4 Likes

Assuming it’ll work :wink:

3 Likes

I’m sure they’ll make it work, somehow… :wink:

Maybe at a reduced resolution (on the eye tracking cameras that is).

2 Likes

Let’s hope for the best. I remain sceptical as Pimax did not write 120 hz at full resolution via USB 2.0 resulting in best eye tracking accuracy. Also I’m even more sceptical when the hand tracking module is running at the same time.

3 Likes

Since we can’t have both attached (as the HT module covers the only port) at the same time on the 8KX I don’t find that to be too much of an issue.

I could be wrong but I doubt we’ll need both modules at the same time either. There’s probably only a few use cases for that now, right?

At this point in time the Hand Tracking Module is pretty gimmicky unless You want to use it in Pimax Experience for seated gaming without any other controller (or mouse) and if that’s the use case and You’re seated anyway there’s not much of a downside to running another cable, is there? :thinking::upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Both accessories serves different purposes.
Sure, the eye-tracking can be used to interact with the UI or the environment by looking at them, but the main purpose so far is to lessen the computing power required thanks to DFR.
The hand-tracking device is dedicated to interact with the environment more intuitively (even if I have to admit the cases where you need only your hand is quite rare in a video game).
So, using both at the same time could makes sense.

But in the end, hidding an USB 2.0 port behind a Type-C connector (made for USB 3.x) was really a stupid decision which bite right back at them now.
Also, the hand module should have included an USB passthrough port.

I only tested the eye-tracking lightly so far, because I don’t have the comfort kit, hence the face is not position idealy to make it work properly (calibration issues, eyelashes swiping the modules, etc). But for the few time I tried it, it worked quite okay for me despite the refresh rate.
I hope Pimax team will find the sweetspot between refresh rate and resolution.

1 Like

I agree… :+1: Passthrough or a spacer with a hub in it.

Worked fine for me too when it worked (had to rerun calibration here and there for no apparent reason).

Tracked both fast (enough) and precisely it seemed.

When it didn’t work everything was just blurry like it just though that I wasn’t looking anywhere… :grin:

I’m sure they’ll figure it out. They always seem to do… :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

But let’s assume the cable/USB port issue is sorted out, one way or another - how is the real life performance of ET so far ? Can we expect to get it to calibrate when wearing the mask as usual, does it work with DFR, on which games, how reliable - in short: does it make sense to unpack & install it yet or is it all still in ‘almost there’ stage which for me as a regular user translates into ‘don’t bother to unpack it as you will only waste a lot of time & get frustrated and can’t use it for proper gaming anyhow, or only randomly, sometimes’ ?

3 Likes

I would just wait for the next PiTool release and either see what people are saying about it or try it out Yourself… :wink:

I uninstalled mine as it didn’t seem to work every time (others have mentioned that they needed to re-run the calibration and restart PiTool (service?) plus my eye lashes were making the lenses on it dirty. So instead of just unplugging it I uninstalled it (which takes a few seconds) and decided to keep wait until next release.

It works on whatever games FFR works on (I needed it the most in Project Cars 2 - which it doesn’t work in).

For example, I had really good results in SkyrimVR (where I’m currently using FFR since I’ve uninstalled the module).

In short; Wait and let others do the beta testing because as it is now, You will get frustrated one way or another… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have used eye tracking in Skyrim VR for DFR (balanced). It works pretty well if your headset is on correctly and the callibration was done accurately. Yes it does need a USB 3.0 cable external to the headset, but if you tether it to your belt to pick up the weight of the slack you don’t notice the hinderance.

2 Likes

I wasn’t using an external cable?

Calibration works perfectly fine for me when directly attached so I’m wondering if the issues people are facing are actually caused by the port they’re plugging the headsets USB3 cable into?

I’m using the red USB 3.1 gen 2 (confirmed) ports on my motherboard (ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming) for the USB3 cable.

2 Likes

My eye tracker just got delivered but haven’t found time to test anything yet.

EDIT: took out my comment about the foam thickness. Apparently the one I already had was a thin one… Still too thick for me unfortunately

2 Likes

So true… so true… I haven’t even opened the eye-tracking box yet… i haven’t seen enough good posts to warrant my time in dealing with it!!!

2 Likes

Do it for me! I am curious if they put one in yours too

I got another thick face foam, possibly thicker than my last one. I don’t have an RTX card, so I tried to get eye tracking working in unreal engine or steamVR for gaze based games. Neither worked.

1 Like

Should PiTool automatically detect my Droolon? Nothing is happening there

2 Likes

I got my Eyetracking just now, will give it a try tonight.

1 Like