Nvidia vs AMD Graphic Cards Colours Difference on Pimax Question

I heard on this forum that AMD provides better colours, can somebody confirm this who has experience with both Nvidia & AMD cards, I had only Nvidia cards and as soon we will see new RDNA 2 cards that will support VRS I might be interested in getting one to try colours until 3090 TI comes out.

If you see the difference in colours can you try to attach some images or at least try to explain what the difference is. Also do you notice some changes in regard to contrast & black levels (LCD HMDs only as blacks are good on XR).

1 Like

I think there is no noticeable difference in color between AMD and Nvidia GPUs, especially not after calibrating it correctly in the Nvidia control panel. Nvidia improved color compression especially since Maxwell.

Generally, there aren’t many real differences between AMD’s and Nvidia’s GPUs anymore nowadays. Driver stability is about the same. Features are about the same (sometimes one vendor will have a feature a generation before the other, but that’s about it).
In the end, it comes down to which vendor offers better price/performance at a specific price point, or which one has the performance crown at the moment, if money is not a factor to you (Titan RTX owners).

We’ll have to wait and see how the performance and pricing will turn out with the next gen GPUs from AMD and Nvidia. It’ll definitely get more competitive than with the last generation, which is great for buyers.

1 Like

Its funny that throughout the years, AMD owners have always claimed the colors are better using their cards compared to Nvidia. Ive never seen any difference, even when I switched to AMD GPUs back in the days, and I suspect its just another loose statement without any kind of proof.

3 Likes

especially not after calibrating it correctly in the Nvidia control panel

Can you please elaborate on this one? I tried to adjust Nvidia settings so many times but it never worked on Pimax headsets for me, the only cases it worked for me were e.g. Vive headsets which you can switch into non direct mode through steam vr & they start to recognize as a separate display, this way I was able to achieve true black oled on Vive pro & adjust contrast, colours, brightness & all possible settings. But no luck with Pimax though.

I currently don’t have an Nvidia GPU, so I can’t verify. But in the past, there were some settings that needed to be adjusted, to make the image look good.
I don’t know if this one still exists, but if it does, it should definitely be set to full range:

3 Likes

It does and it apparently defaults to limited (16-235) - just changed mine:

1 Like

Yep, thats the first thing I change as soon as I update drivers.

2 Likes

I didn’t even know that it existed :wink: So does it have an effect on the colors in headset? :open_mouth:

2 Likes

No. Only on desktop monitor, when watching videos, editing in Premiere etc.

Hence my statement that the claimed difference between AMD and Nvidia (using Pimax) doesnt make sense.

AMD users have always had some kind of urge to claim their GPUs are better than Nvidia. Even when they obviously know they are not. Its remarkable. But I wont go deeper into that discussion heh, no real conclusion has been ever made regarding AMD vs Nvidia. Nor Intel vs AMD either, or XBONE vs PS4…

4 Likes

I don’t think so, as I wrote above e.g. on vive if you set it in non direct mode in nvidia panel the second monitor appears & you can adjust it’s settings as you want & it does affect the picture in HMD.

I know that problem for compressed range, i used a script that changes it for all displays in regestry, it was available somewhere from nvidia forums a while ago, I also aways use full range for my monitors/TV.

So my assumption was that AMD could possibly allow to alter those settings for HMDs directly not like as current Nvidia driver does, but seems it’s not the case unfortunately.

1 Like

There have at times been very subtle differences between AMD and NVIDIA GPU rendering that could be described as ‘better colors’. Things like identical scenes in Crysis rendered with NVIDIA and AMD GPUs having a few different pixels, due to both brands of GPUs showing very small errors in shadows or shading.

AFAIK, even that mostly ended a long time ago, probably when DX9 ended. And usually favored NVIDIA very slightly anyway.

Both cards support HDR also.

1 Like

Hm. I had ATI only once, while ago - ATI Rage pro turbo - which I later upgraded to Nvidia Riva TNT2. That ATI card was quite slow but it did indeed have nicer picture (subjectively). At that time it was speculated that Nvidia is perhaps compromising bit too much on driver level to gain extra performance. And the best cards for picture quality (not performance) were considered Matrox Millenium or something like that.

So there might be some truth to such claims but I would be surprised today with ability to set almost anything that any of them would have edge in this regard. I suppose there can still be difference using default settings.

2 Likes

There is only one graphics card with naturel colors on marked! https://youtu.be/s13iFPSyKdQ

1 Like

I remember my voodoo 5500 wasn’t the fastest card but dam it had great AA for it’s time…

1 Like

Not true, when i switched from Fury X to 1080ti I direct noticed everything is grey, its as its a grey filter over everything with default settings, never change settings on a GPU. Ofc you get use to fast and then you dont think about it.

1 Like

If “everything is grey”, you should verify that the color setting are for “full range”. The nVidia default is “limited”, which is stupid, since it’s intended for HDMI usage (some TVs can’t handle full range). Here’s an easy link to info in this thread (above).

but it shouldn’t have any impacts on picture in a VR HMD

1 Like