Pimax 3080ti day one support

Pimax 3080ti day one support

Hi!
I am interested to know if Pimax got a developement unit of the 3xxx series NVidia cards, to ensure day one compatibility. I plan on buying the new cards, but I’d hate for it to not work several months till all the drivers have been figured out by Pimax.
I would like an official statement from Pimax on this matter.

3 Likes

Is there a release date for the 3080ti?

1 Like

It is apparently in september.

1 Like

Why would Pimax have a development unit of the Nvidia card?

2 Likes

It’s way too early dude. Nvidia hasn’t even announced a gaming graphics card. So far they only announced enterprise.

9 Likes

It’s not yet announced, but it’s been leaked:

AMD will apparently launch at about the same time:

This is great news, since the RTX 20xx series prices should drop soon and if both AMD and nVidia are releasing cards at the same time, prices should be a bit lower (than if there was no competition).

4 Likes

Even if Pimax had one, which I hardly doubt, I cannot imagine any “official” statement they could make on this matter.

The easiest would be to simply wait for the new cards, and then wait a bit more, to see if, and how, they work. Which is usually the best one can do with any just released product.

5 Likes

Nvidia doesn’t normally release the Ti cards on day 1 - the 2080 Ti was the exception.

So while 30 series cards may release this year, my gut tells me the 3080Ti is coming in 2021.

2 Likes

Yes, but we might be up for another exception.

Indications are, that AMD will release a graphics card that could be faster than the 3080.
There are even rumors that Nvidia might have to resort to using their huge x00 die instead of the smaller x02 die for the highest end gaming card, to be able to stay ahead of AMD. Although I doubt Nvidia will do that, because it’s simply too expensive to manufacture those huge dies.

The biggest clue here, is AMD’s official information, that RDNA2 will deliver 50% higher performance per watt than RDNA1 on the same node. The only time we saw anything like that in the last 10+ years was with the introduction of Maxwell.

Anyway, I think we’ll be up for a treat towards the end of the year, with significant increases in GPU performance available (and likely introduction of DP 2.0 and HDMI 2.1, which will solve any bandwidth issues with 8KX or even future higher resolution headsets)

3 Likes

There’s no indication that AMD will support useful features for VR like dynamic foveated rendering so I am super skeptical about using Big Navi in VR.

Also, I don’t really want a 500W card in my rig.

Actually, we know for a fact that RDNA2 will support dynamic foveated rendering, which is VRS. This has been officially confirmed by AMD:

Also, if you do the math, +50% increase in performance/watt would put RDNA2 significantly ahead of current Nvidia GPUs, in terms of power efficiency.

Everyone should make an informed buying decision in the end, no matter if they end up choosing AMD or Nvidia. There’s a lot of misinformation out there, regarding Nvidia and AMD GPUs, let’s try to not contribute to it.

2 Likes

There is no way it will beat RTX cards in VRS.

Also AMD will do something stupid like put loads of HBM2 on it, because it’s a compute card and not for gaming.

I don’t want a statement about if they have a development card. I want a statement about if they work with NVidia on day one compatibility.

Companies get development units of consoles or cards many moths ahead to make sure their games work on it. How early usually depends on the size of the company. At least that is what Youtube reviewers tell, but it makes sense. NVidia and AMD don’t want all the big games not yet released having huge problems when they come out at a similar date to their new cards.

I don’t know if AMD and NVidia have any policy on how to work with VR headset makers, but since compatibility is more complicated then with a game I presume there already exists a similar approach with the big manufacturers like Valve and HTC to ensure day one compatibility. I don’t expect those headsets not working with the new cards day one. But from Pimax track record, I can easily imagine it not working correctly for months. Since Pimax is already in contact (from what I read about the Pimax development here) with NVidia for Pitool development. It would make sense for them using this contact to ensure compatibility of the new cards day one.

1 Like

I don’t mind buying AMD if they are Pimax compatible. But driver support has been bad on that side. I assume Pimax is just to small of a company for AMD to waste valuable time on them. Or the other way around and Pimax has the priority too low. But since Pimax for whatever reason prefers working with NVidia I presume the same happening for the new generation of cards. I will just buy the new better thing that has good compatibility with Pimax. I don’t need a better graphics card for anything else than VR. I would have stayed on my 1070 for years still probably if VR didn’t change that for me.

1 Like

Id think most of the compatibility work required will be handled by valve in getting steamvr to work well on the new cards.

Have there been any pimax specific issues relating to GPU compatibility earlier?

The big issue will be eye tracking and dynamic foveated rendering - Pimax seem to be ahead of Valve on this because eye tracking isn’t coming to the Index anytime soon.

If Pimax wants to benefit from their competitive advantage, they will need to make sure of 100% Nvidia compatibility in Pitools rather than wait for SteamVR.

1 Like

I can’t wait for a new card! I’ll be first in line. Even if the RDNA 2 big Navi is slightly ahead of the big Ampere card i’ll probably go Nvidia just because Pimax have a much better record of supporting Nvidia cards.

I’m really praying that there is a way to enable display port 2.0 or HDMI 2.1 on the 8KX. But it might be wishful thinking.

3 Likes

Honestly pimax dont have a competitive advantage, they sell expensive and far less compatible hmds that require lighthouses and controllers from other manufacturers to enable 6dof/roomscale, have a sh!tsmear for a road map and record for when it comes to following the timelines they have set for themselves.

If pimax survives it will remain as a niche product for brand enthusiast that keeps having supply, support and compatibility issues for a long time.

If they ever put out that fabled wireless kit they might start getting some traction outside of those of us that are already in the club.

Most looking at Pimax will quickly find the well documented and drawn issues this community has been having, pretty much every reviewer talks about distortion which is a big turn off for most (even if it isnt very visible unless you specifically look for it), the lack of an eye relief/lens depth dial as well as foam face width options and default headstrap crappiness. (even tho i dont really care about the updated rigid strap, can wear my pimax for 16 hours with just bathroom breaks no problem).

1 Like

Who else is bringing eye tracking to the party? Vive Pro Eye has too much latency to be useful.

Lighthouses are essential for full body tracking.

If you want to be at the low end of the market, Rift S is what you need.

3 Likes

Amd usually lags behind in support of features and you end up with more issues for a less broad market like vr currently (although it’s growing fast now). I’ve seen countless posts about something not working with their and card. You save money sure, but what’s the point if it doesn’t do the very thing you bought it to do lol.

3 Likes