Pimax headset powers on by itself if power goes out and is restored

Pimax headset powers on by itself if power goes out and is restored

Hi, I noticed that when the breaker for my room was tripped a few days ago, my 5K+ automatically powered itself on when I flipped the breaker and restored power. I’m lucky I noticed, because I sometimes go days without playing VR. It would have gotten a little warm in the case I have it in and I don’t feel that would be good. Is that something that can be looked into? @PimaxUSA

3 Likes

Yes it is unfortunate, but it’s the standard behaviour of the HMD (I really wish it could be changed in a FW update, but I don’t think so)

I have circumvented this by using a Philips hue smart socket, set it to power off state when it is powered on after power cut / failure.
(I have my lighthouses on the same smart socket)

2 Likes

I just unplug the wall adapter from headset cable when. Not being used.

2 Likes

Uncanny. I woke up this morning and saw my pimax blue led chevron lighting up the computer room. I haven’t used it for months. It wasn’t on yesterday. Thought it had developed it’s own AI and gone for a holiday in google earth or something.
But my clock on the microwave is out so we had a power failure last night.

I just power everything VR related from the same plug strip. When the VR workstation PC is off, I turn everything else off.

This is good practice in general, due to the possibility of dangerously high voltage/current ground loops (and at best corresponding increased risk of lightning/surge damage) if separate circuits are used.

Obviously, with the 8kX, as long as the PC is unpowered, so is the headset (since it uses USB power only).

1 Like

Known this for ages given our power goes out for an hour or so at least every 4-5 days year round all the time. :frowning:

Had local hydro doing construction power surge my house way back. Lost the tv, converter box. the router, 1 power strip, a back up computer and my expensive Panamax power protector burnt out most of it’s “blow outs”. At least it did it’s job. My gaming computer and sound system were spared.

1 Like

Really lucky here I guess no power cuts in recent years that I can remember, but I usually forget to turn it off afterwards. Then when turning off the room lights I notice the flashing blue light and that’s my reminder :smile:

1 Like

Years?!?!?!?! Are you serious? We literally do not bother setting the clocks on things like coffee makers and microwaves because there is no point.

1 Like

Wow really? Sorry to hear :frowning: In this bit of London where I live yeah, nothing recent enough to even remember when it happened. In other parts though eg where work offices are, can happen up to a couple of times a year but usually never more than that, unless someone goofs at the power company, but then they’ll get pushed to update to explain what they’ve done to ensure it doesn’t repeat.

2 Likes

I do the same. Not sure if it will work with 8kX though as that one I think is supposed to draw power also from USB (and depowering/un-connecting everything every time would be bit of hassle).

1 Like

Indeed. Will likely need to unplug the usb. Or see if pimax can implement a stay powered off until power button is used

Just got to thinking. Do these replies mean I am doing something wrong by just powering down my headset with the power button on it and leaving it that way? Is stuff still running that shouldn’t be even though the front light is off?

No that’s what I do. I leave it off but plugged into PC and socket, and it doesn’t autopower on.

I have to manually turn it on and off. I’m curious about the automatic power on thing, because mine doesn’t turn on with the PC.

I also don’t autorun PiTool or Steam etc, I like a minimal boot and nothing taking up resources unnecessarily

1 Like

It’s not that it turns on with the PC; it turns on if your electricity goes out and comes back on. I’m sure unplugging and replugging the power cable should do the same.

2 Likes

Ah sure, fair enough

1 Like

Yep mine comes on when I plug the mini power lead into it’s breakout. I unplugged my headset there, when not using it…

1 Like

One USB cable is for power only while the other one is for data/communication as far as I understand, so just use a standard USB charger for that and do as You did before… :wink:

1 Like

Just wanted to point out that some prefer current behavior, so hopefully if it is changed, it is optional. My whole rig is powered on/off by a single power switch, and if I have to power HMD on manually that’d be a hassle.

2 Likes

They could just make a “power on after power loss” option in PiTool similar to what’s in most bioses.

4 Likes