PiTool 1.0.1.259 discussion - Split from "Tracking Issues April 2020" thread

PiTool 1.0.1.259 discussion - Split from "Tracking Issues April 2020" thread

It is not that simple. The GPU is not the only bottleneck, it is complex. The GPU catalyst slider is a hack that lets you push past the tolerance of your system but that tolerance is there for a reason; to ensure stability of frame delivery and vertical sync. If pushing it up results in instability for you, then you are already at or close to the maximum level for your system.

If you want to increase your GPU utilization crank up your Supersampling. But I wouldn’t overfocus on that number, it is a bit of a red herring.

3 Likes

I agree! This is why Pimax should clearly describe via tool tip what the individual settings are exactly doing. Since most people dont know what the settings are doing or misunderstand the settings in Pitools. It´s obvious that people think, if they crank up “GPU Catalyst” they will gain more performance. Which is not the purpose of that setting.

For example the tool tip for “GPU Catalyst” is: “Adjust carefully, too high value may cause abnormal picture”

This leads totaly to misunderstanding or to not understand what it´s for.
It would be very nice, if Pimax could overlook the Tool Tips and give them some in depth explanations for better understandings.

6 Likes

I’m having the same issue. Pitool logo, then it closes. disappears from the tool tray if I try to click it, I’m on the 8k, not sure what SN since the sticker text has faded to nothing. I guess I’ll try to reinstall 258.

5K+ latest model (203 I think)

Tested this against 253 pitool - As was the best until this pitool.

No longer is there a performance drop. In fact 253 would have a drop every 2sec in 120hz mode. 259 is rock solid and still with the great performance. Well done Pimax.

I have noticed the most about the improvement in pitool is if you peer through the nose gap the controllers line up exactly with the controllers in both real life and VR. this was not the case with previous pitools. not sure what version this was corrected with but another plus.

144hz mode is just slightly blurry for me than 120hz mode. This is only slightly and most notable in steamvr desktop with text on the screen. I think Ill be staying with 120hz mode for the momdent. Still need to test in skyrimvr to see which I like best as like I said its mainly with desktop text.

And yes I have the dimmed screens

Overall this is the best pitool to date for me. Shame about the dim screens and the slight blur in 144hz. Man if pimax just sorted out there support and order update process they would be killing it with the best HMD.

4 Likes

Tested latest pitool 259 and yes…got dimmed displays too.
Tried reverting back to 255 firmware and still getting dimmed displays.
204 and was on 72 hz before upgrading.

any solution ?

1 Like

You need to reinstall pitool 144 to have the backlight option available again and set it to high.

Then close everything and reinstall pitool 259.

4 Likes

I am not going to install 259 until majority of sim racers confirm it is faster than 253, but hint for fellow adventurous programmers regarding brightness setting - maybe it is just a registry setting? Registry activity can be monitored using Sysinternals Procmon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Changes back to dim every time you change hz

1 Like

I agree. In general, you’ll only get the highest GPU utilization in benchmarks or ultra-high resolutions (including super-sampling).

What you should aim for is best “steady” framerate, which will vary according to the game and all the various graphics settings: in-game, in PiTool, and in the graphics control panel. What you don’t want is a high framerate with occasional (or frequent) stutters. This will be a balance between your CPU and your GPU, to minimize bottlenecks.

For example, in a game like Elite D, you want to tune your settings for planet surfaces and inside stations. If you get a good framerate under those conditions, you’ll get a great framerate everywhere else.

Ouch! That is most unfortunate.

2 Likes

Thanks @NoFear99 ,
Saw it above but you made it clearer thanks Man!!

1 Like

I have updated to the new pitool without problem with the firmware it was another thing. I have some issues always (with other pitools as well). Whenever I change the hz my hmd loses its track and I have to restart service and reboot hmd. With DCS in the last two pitools I can’t make work the FFR.
In DCS I get a really smooth experience in the sea, flying over buildings and terrain but when I fly over supercarriers I lose my smoothness even if my cpu and gpu are not maxed. It doesn’t matter if I use smartmoothing or not, if I lower to 64hz, if I lower resolution…

EDIT: related to DCS smoothness was the msaa filter. Without it, it runs smoothly over the supercarrier. Anyway even with the filter it doesn’t reach 100% the gpu.

I have the same problem, dim display after update…
8K plus sn 20630.
Pimax need to fix this asap, the Pi tool 144 fix, reverts to dim when changing hz…

1 Like

Hi,

One more here whose Pimax5k+ has gone dim after updating Pitool to V1.0.1.259 and Firmware 2.1.255.264.
Hello Pimax, do you hear us?

I always keep GPU catalyst value 0.0

2 Likes

0.0 is the only Catalyst setting which works well on my system (with an 8K). Higher settings cause stutters, double images, or other visual artifacts.

9 Likes

I’m using around 3.00 to 3.5 depending on game (which means settling on 3.0 as I don’t want to constantly change the setting) but haven’t tried that many games yet.

2 Likes

I received confirmation from Pimax. The FFR doesn’t work in this pitool. They’ll fix it in the future. It’s amazing that they don’t push a hot fix for that.

Its a bug from new pitool version, anyway, we will fix it in future pitool.
Thanks for your feedback, have a nice day.

2 Likes

It’s annoying, and I’ve been upset about the index issue since I got the controllers. However, similarly to stuttering with 254, then 255 and 258 I bet there will be a quick string of pitool releases.

Pitool annoys me regularly as my hmd has been solid for less than half of its life, but once the company acknowledges issues they do a good job of solving them. The brightness issue, ffr etc I’m sure are easy fixes, but they’ll push them along with other improvements.

4 Likes

I agree! This should be a Hot Fix within 1-2 days.
Those things are pile up and comes into decision what will be the brand of my next headset…

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. These are things which, imo as a software engineer, should not have broken in the first place (or at least should have been caught by testing). I worry about the code quality. Isn’t this a non-beta version?

It does us no good if the backlight brightness is fixed, but some other important feature gets broken in the same release.

4 Likes