Pitool version and 8KX

Pitool version and 8KX

So currently I can only run the .144 beta version of pitool with the .255 firmware on my 5k+ and get smooth game play (iRacing). I’ve got an 8KX on pre order and am a little concerned that if it won’t run on this Pitool version I’ll be unable to use it. Obviously there aren’t many in the wild yet so I guess this is a question for @SweViver or anyone else that has early access?

You cannot run .144 with an 8KX. You must use Pitool 255 or better as that is the first version to fully include the distortion profiles. I’m pretty sure that iRacing is part of the 8KX test suite the team is using for internal run throughs.

3 Likes

Thanks fo rthe reply.

Hopefully a pitool version is released before the 8KX that performs correclty as nothing after 144 currently does for me. I had found work arounds previously but none of those appear to work anymore :crossed_fingers:

May I ask you to provide a little detail about the problems you are experiencing so I can notify the team? Surely there has to be iRacing players who use Pitools newer than .144? Or does everybody use such an old version?

1 Like

Frames jumping / regularly reoccurring judder of the picture. And since 255 low GPU utilization.
The GPU catalyst slider does not work above 0, it leads to strong juddering.

It’s app agnostic. It would be great if you could tell the team, because it feels as if there’s a wall between the coding section R&D and what the users report on these forums en masse.

Thanks for your help

1 Like

As JoCool said, low GPU utilisation, judder when the world rotates around my view point, stutter in higher load situations. I ran a 2 lap replay file in .144 and the latest .258 Alyx pitool and with .144 no rotational stutter or judder and 40 - 50% GPU utilisation. With .258 i get rotational stutter and decreased GPU usage. FPS stays consistant in both version, here are the outputs from FpsVR,

fpsVR Report:
App: iRacingSim64DX11 HMD: Pimax 5K Plus (71.999 Hz, IPD 63.0)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 (26.21.14.3200) CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz
Delivered fps: 70.57 Duration: 4.7min.
GPU Frametimes:
Median: 7.6 ms
99th percentile: 9.5 ms
99.9th percentile: 11.4 ms
frametime <13.9ms(vsync): 100%
CPU frametime:
Median: 4.9 ms
99th percentile: 8.2 ms
99.9th percentile: >30 ms
frametime <13.9ms(vsync): 99.4%
Max. SteamVR SS: 66%
Render resolution per eye: 3464x2140(by SteamVR settings, Max.) (HMD driver recommended: 4264x2634)

fpsVR Report:
App: iRacingSim64DX11 HMD: Pimax 5K Plus (71.999 Hz, IPD 63.0)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 (26.21.14.3200) CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz
Delivered fps: 71.87 Duration: 4.4min.
GPU Frametimes:
Median: 6.1 ms
99th percentile: 8.1 ms
99.9th percentile: 9.5 ms
CPU frametime:
Median: 7.2 ms
99th percentile: 10.6 ms
99.9th percentile: 11.7 ms
Max. SteamVR SS: 66%
Render resolution per eye: 2772x1708(by SteamVR settings, Max.) (HMD driver recommended: 3412x2102)

4 Likes

@PimaxUSA So it seems this issue carries over to the newer 8K+ as well which is rather concerning.

I’ve seen a post from a user on the iracing forums that is seeing the same behaviour that is using an 8K+. It seems a few people have gone for an 8K+ specifically for iRacing so i fully expect to see more instances of this issue. Did you pass the information i provided over to the Pitool team, was there any feedback about this?

I’m starting to think that this has been an issue since Pitool .144 so it will never be rsolved and i’m best off cancelling my 8kX order and looking for an alternative. Not something i want to do as the 8KX looks to an amazing bit of kit but it will be extremely frustrating if having waited for so long for it, it’s unusable once it arrives.

This is a bummer, try .255. I actually get very very minor stutters in .258, its livable with the catalyst at 0, but .255 was better. Perf isn’t great, but for me not noticeably different than .144. I was in the same boat, I literally didn’t use my pimax until .255 came out because I couldn’t play new games.

Why delete the post?

We’re also having this issue. The Catalyst solved nothing. 144 and 254a are the only versions that properly work with high GPU utilization and without framejumping on my RTX2080ti.

Pimax Software Engineers really need to fix that. The problem has been reported many times and is all over the forums. We’re great fans, and have heard the tech lead regarding PiTool has gone to another company, but this needs fixing anyway. We’ll buying premium products and can’t have these trade-offs if we require the performance to be utilized especially for them, especially for the 8KX, and not have the high powered cards sitting at 75% utilization like in the latest PiTool versions.

You guys do have the necessary, working utilization profiles in .144 and .254a for when the Software recognizes 2080ti cards. Does it differentiate?

I know you guys are in another department but how else can we get to them.

@PimaxUSA @SweViver @PimaxQuorra

3 Likes