Putting the disco mirror ball next to the lighthouse is not the best idea

Ok so I had been having stutters since I started using my 5k+ (it went RMA for this, even) but it’s not solved so I tried this now, unfortunately it has not helped either… I put details here: Video Judder/Studder Dec 2019 & Q1 2020
Including a video.
I also had several crashes with it… Can anyone tell me what the best PiTool version is right now?

2 Likes

try pitool 144 :joystick:
>older pitools download<

3 Likes

Isn’t that a version from like… July? I mean great if it works, I’ll try tomorrow but… It surely doesn’t have 120Hz mode right?

120Hz is from the latest firmware updates. I don’t run at 120Hz personally because it doesn’t work with my DP extension cable, but I still have the option in 144 because I kept the newer firmware.

3 Likes

I see, thanks. However I don’t see how the firmware version matters when the 120Hz option was not there in pitool? How would you activate it?

I think the point is it pulls the refresh rate options from the headset (firmware) independently of PiTool version.

2 Likes

From a programming standpoint, that makes no sense. If in this PiTool version, no one wrote the code for the dropdownbox into the tool, it simply would not exist there :smiley:
Ah, no matter, I will confirm tonight if I have the option in pitool 144 :stuck_out_tongue:

If it “selects” options from the headset it makes perfect sense (like You would with a DB).

The drop-down box isn’t exactly new.

2 Likes

I’m an EE not a CS guy, but I think pitool ‘requests’ the available panel refresh rates from the hmd and the newer firmwares have an additional panel refresh rate. Pitool has always shown all available refresh rates so downgrading the software doesn’t remove the option. Regardless, give it a shot. 144 and 132 are the only stutter free pitools for me.

1 Like

That’s a good point, I forgot the option was already there for lowering the Hz… :slight_smile: Forgot about that!

1 Like

Ok so I tried PiTool 144 but still have really bad tracking loss and now even more frequent crashes for some reason. Couldn’t even play for more than two minutes before crashing, no matter the game… I hooked up my odyssey again and it had no such issue.

So, if y’all want a good laugh… I figured out my stuttering issue. The issue I’ve been having for months and had my hmd RMA’ed for…

this is my room…
There’s an object in it that has been there for literally years and I hadn’t even thought of at all until the very moment I took this picture… Can you spot it :smiley: ?

4 Likes

A bloody mirror ball? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

4 Likes

Yup :stuck_out_tongue:

turns out these two aren’t friends lol.
So, I doubt this will help anyone, but if you ever have tracking issues, make sure you do not have a disco ball hanging from the ceiling!

5 Likes

I learned that when I first got my Vive as I had a large mirrored art piece in my VR room. I just couldn’t figure out why my tracking was so bad.

I noticed in your video that the stutter wasn’t too bad and mostly tracking related. Glad you got that sorted… gonna spend some time tonight messing around to see if I can find my issue. Hopefully I find a disco ball

A bloody disco mirror ball… What could go wrong? :joy:

3 Likes

1.0 base stations are super sensitive to reflections and lights, while 2.0 aren’t sensitive at all. We could barely use 1.0 at VR days due to all light sources and spotlights. Im still using 1.0 at home and I can tell even my ceiling light (just 3 very strong LED bulbs) are causing issues until I turn them off.

2 Likes

Yeah. Our tall windows can throw my v1 lighthouses right out.

Oh my gosh…your basestation laser rays were jumping all around the room like hell, reflected by that ball…how the heck you haven’t tought about it until now ??? :joy: