Starting to have problems after latest Steam update

Turned on the computer this evening and Steam said it was updating and now Steam Home is very blurry but the steam menus are extra sharp. I also get a LOT of stuttering in almost all games now - and when I go back to Steam Home after playing something (more like testing actually) the Steam Home is stuttering but not in a low frame rate fashion but sort of heavily ghosting as I move my head . I’ve checked all my settings (Pitool 1.5, Steam SS 20% and, Steam game SS settings all at 100% (these were all as before when I had no problems).

Anyone else noticed any peculiarities today?

3 Likes

Yeah I don’t have Steam Home turned on but I did notice tonight that the SteamVR default screen was blurry for me. I know that the beta version of SteamVR had this problem a few weeks back so if they have now pushed the Beta version to the normal branch then it likely brought the problem along with it.

2 Likes

Might have something to do with this?

6 Likes

With the update, the gpuSpeed seems to require a higher value.
I tried to come up with a tentative solution.
Still under verification, but it’s working well for now.
Hope this helps.

3 Likes

@SweViver @arminelec hey guys, looks like you’ll need to make adjustments to the PE SteamVR settings adjustment option based on this latest change to SteamVR

5 Likes

Thank you all for reporting this!

6 Likes

Thanks - I hadn’t noticed your thread before, looks very interesting and useful. I’m tied up with work for most of today but will hopefully get some time for some fiddling tonight (and hopefully get my headset back to how it was yesterday morning!).

Edit, it’s going to drive me crazy if every time Steam make a change the headset goes to pot - I thought Valve wanted third parties to use the system!!

4 Likes

Having the blurry SteamVR grid as well since the latest SteamVR update.
However, SteamVR Home and ATS were running fine and smoothly, PiTool 1.0 and SteamVR-SS 100%. At least in the first and one session I did this morning…

2 Likes

Yeah I noticed today while playing that the SteamVR desktop looked blurry but Population One seemed to look fine in sharpness which makes me think this SteamVR update only affect overlay menus. Damn Valve keeps messing with our Pimax headsets.

2 Likes

That other thread seems to be locked by the way.
I just checked my SteamVRsettings file. The GPUSpeeds i have are normal (as they were before for the rtx3090, at around 2500-2600 values)…
What did change is the gpurendertargetscale to 0.6599…

1 Like

After update of SteamVR I cannot set up native resolution of Pimax 5 plus,
and auto resolution gives to me strange resolution.

3 Likes

I had no issues except what i saw above. Changed all figures for gpuspeed to 5000 and 1.5 target render in the steamVrsettings file and it was all fine

1 Like

Those who still have issues when relying on PE to launch your games, remember that you can update Steam VR optimization settings via PE, until we release a new PE version to improve on this matter where necessary.

This page is located under Advanced > Manual Steam VR Optimization.

Update:
The custom Steam VR optimization profiles are located under: ~\AppData\LocalLow\Pimax\Pimax VR Experience\CustomSteamVRProfiles. If you wish to use custom values that are not provided in PE dashboard, you can edit the files directly and save it.

Remember:

• The [Load Profile] button in PE, loads the selected profile from dropdown, onto the dashboard.
  • The [Save Profile] button in PE only saves the loaded profile data to disk, It does not apply it.
  • The [Apply Profile] button in PE only applies the loaded profile data, into Steam VR settings.
  • When you use custom values by editing a file directly, only load and apply it. There is no need to save it.
5 Likes

Armin - for those that dont use PE, we have to keep changing the file again to gpuSpeed 5000 approximately and Render Scale 1.5?

With a 3090 today it had gpuSpeeds at 2500-2600 for me (same as it was before), but the renderTargetscale value was .66 now.

Does this affect anything with the actual game or any overlays?
I mainly use VR for sim racing and use an overlay from OVRToolkit for dashboards.

1 Like

Yes. Certain parameters in the Steam VR settings file are calculated and updated upon Steam VR startup. To apply different values to them, the file should be updated before each launch of Steam VR.

The gpuSpeedRenderTargetScale value is calculated and updated upon Steam VR launch. In other words, it does not matter right now what values are entered for that parameter before each Steam VR launch and therefore we have no choice but to live with the value Steam VR puts there.

Since I have a 1080 Ti and a 5k+, I would not be the right person to test the scenarios to answer your last question (perhaps @SweViver could reply some time later when he gets some free time).

2 Likes

So basically the only values that matter are the GpuSpeed values is what you’re saying?

1 Like

Under GpuSpeed, only gpuSpeed0-9 matter for Steam VR’s calculations.
Under steamvr, there are a few other parameters that matter too (e.g. maxRecommendedResolution)

3 Likes

Ye but that doesn’t change. I have it at 16384 always. I dont remember that maxRecommendedResolution changing with any steamVR updates and such…
So the main thing is keeping GpuSpeed updated to a higher value to keep the resolution/clarity up.

3 Likes

Yes. That is correct. I have not seen the other section getting updated on launch either.

3 Likes

Since yesterday, I have a fine stuttering if I move my Head in DCS.
Like 10Hz.
But I don’t know, is that SteamVR, the pitool Beta, the new Firmware or the last Win update. :see_no_evil:

1 Like