Valve HMD coming up?

Sounds about right. Somthing to look foward to and not far off. Pimax wont be shipping untill then anyway. If this headsets packing Emagin displays were in for a treat

1 Like

So

GDC 2019 will take place from March 18-22, 2019

If the new HMD is going to be announced then, then at least we should all have had a month or two with our Pimaxes. And then if it is released mid-year, then at least people with Pimax would have had half a year of owning the best HMD. And then it would depend on how good the new HMD actually is.

Or maybe he called Pimax a “failure” because he knows the new HMD is going to be better in every way?

1 Like

Whatever the case about how well Pimax are going to do though, I think this news has really energized the VR community.

It was feeling a bit hopeless with news Oculus were cancelling new Rift and doing just a “refresh” and no other news from HTC all making it seem like Gen2 (from the big manufacturers at least) was not coming anytime soon and 2019 was gonna all be about standalone units. In that climate, Pimax 5K+/8K really was the best thing happening to PCVR.

Now with new Valve HMD and all these speculations about FOV and what screen tech they will have plus HLVR it feels like the future of PCVR is bright again!

8 Likes

What is the FP3 chip ?

1 Like

I will now introduce you to three concepts:

Determinism
Given a set of starting conditions (in the present), you will always make the same decision
Benefits: After you make a decision you don’t have to worry if you should have chosen the other option (because you never would have)

Predeterminism
Same as Determinism except it cover all decisions in the universe and the starting conditions are the beginning of the universe.

Fatalism
Your fate (results of your choice) are the same regardless of the actual choice you make.
ie You have two paths - You can take the path through the valley or the path over the mountain.

• Valley - You are stabbed by a robber.
  • Mountain - You fall off the mountain and land on the robber’s knife.

Generally, fatalism is pretty pessimistic but at least you don’t have to worry about those pesky choices.

2 Likes

Another chip on the Valve PCB just showed here to have a size reference to determine if the ANX7530 was really 6x6mm and not pin compatible with the ANX7538/39 which are 8x8mm as would be the allege ANX7530VH in the Analogix press release

2 Likes

SCOOP PIMAX 8K-X true 8K NEXT YEAR

1 Like

Pssst… It was already stated not true 8k it’s 1\2. :laughing:

2 Likes

This is breaking the eggs in the basket :laughing:

1 Like

a compilation of details: https://skarredghost.com/2018/11/12/all-you-need-to-know-about-leaked-valve-vr-headset-is-half-life-3-2-coming/

3 Likes

Valve’s employees are all nerds!
When the company develops something and puts it on the market, it works and, above all, they can deliver when ordered by the customer.
I will, as soon as the glasses are orderable, buy immediately without waiting for reviews.

3 Likes

I’m more interested in Half Life VR myself. I need more amazing content to enjoy VR.

2 Likes

Yeah this truly could be a game changer for VR. It doesn’t have to be super high end; it just needs to resolve some of the things that are holding back the market. In fact, making it possible to run on a lower end device may be a better bet than pushing the highest end hardware.
Valve’s main business will by far remain software sales. But, the more people have a VR headset, the more software they’ll sell, naturally. The higher end the hardware, the less will be sold. Of course, it needs to be better than gen one, to convince those people to buy the new gen. As a side effect, a lot of those gen 1’s will be sold second-hand, further increasing the market.
All in all this is great news, although I’m sure it’s not going to be appearing before spring 2019.
Not sure why half life 1.5 VR is something to get excited about but then I never played any of the first two games. (thus, never understood the need for HL3) - I’d much rather have Portal 3, for example.

2 Likes

If I knew this one year ago and I knew pimax will take this long. I wouldn’t have backed the 8k. I can’t buy a new hmd just after my pimax arrived. That makes no sense. But I made a lot of positive experiences with valve products. The big mistake of pimax is they didn’t speed up the whole process by growing the team early. They didn’t use the chance to gain trust. Instead they ramp up production and good communication far to slow.

I don’t care for oculus. But this news make me think for the first time: Did I make the right decision by backing a pimax? I still hope so. But I am not sure anymore…

1 Like

I am not sure my pimax arrives until spring anymore. I am backer 39xx. And production is sooo slow…

Oh yes. I totally agree. I also liked Portal far more then HL.

Well, we will see tomorrow and later on in the week where they can take their production when their new materials arrive. Hopefully they can really crank up the pace. Of course, Murphy’s law is still there so who knows :confused: But I’m feeling optimistic :slight_smile:

However… being a pre-order customer, valve’s hmd may be releasing around the time I’ll get my pre order so I am really doubtful right now :confused:

2 Likes

Nice read. SJ’s Emagin find was solid gold. I hope the displays they use are truly next gen

" One of our Tier 1 consumer electronics partners approved our microdisplay design this quarter. This design has been given to our foundry partner to manufacture the initial wafers. After we receive the wafers, we will directly pattern the OLED . Our consumer electronics partner needs very high brightness; very high resolution, which is needed in order to get a wide large field of view; and no screen door effect. We are the only company with the design and the OLED process capable of making this display. If all goes according to plan, we expect to deliver those prototypes for the consumer electronics company in the second quarter of 2019 .

Yes, I think that the event for us will be the actual of this display, it’s a prototype coming out, and we – this consumer company is very interesting to us, because t hey will allow us to sell the displays to other companies, once they have it and taken a look at it . So I think the event will be that when you see this display, it’s a VR display, this is the display that everyone needs. And one of the reasons I can’t help but think, the VR space doesn’t take off today or hasn’t taken off today, is the displays aren’t what’s needed. This display is. It meets the qualifications, very high resolution, very high speed, some of the things we’ve put in it like addressing all the pixels at once, a global addressing, high brightness, very high brightness, full-color display, that’s what’s needed. So we are very enthusiastic about having this customer see this display.

Really, the partner will allow us to sell to other companies. Let me give you a few examples. There are many different people in this AR/VR space, who are interested in having a takeoff because they have other things to sell and the 2 obvious ones are chips for GPU/CPU and software. So this company might be one of those, and they want to have the market takeoff, they’re not necessarily going to be the premier headset manufacturer in the world or a headset seller in the world, but they want this market to takeoff. That’s what I’m talking about. They like us to sell the display to everyone .

Source:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/edited-transcript-eman-earnings-conference-211623091.html

2 Likes

Looks like they were testing displays @anon33864247

3 Likes

Buyers dilemma. There will always be something better just around the corner.

5 Likes

LCD not OLED too. 2020202

3 Likes