Weekly Update May 14th / 21st, 2020 Discussion

Weekly Update May 14th / 21st, 2020 Discussion
9 Likes

Shouldn’t the connecting hinges be made of metal in the most up to date mas versions?

https://community.openmr.ai/uploads/default/original/3X/a/e/ae9c5ab326c4550f9bd8efd8eb251d90c45fc240.jpeg

3 Likes

Absolutely.

The jpeg you linked is a render though and even if it were a photo, I wouldn’t be able to tell if the shown brackets were colored plastic or painted metal hinges.

3 Likes

Indeed they also could be plastic covered metal hinges/metal hinge inserts. I was definitely lead to believe the rounded part of the MAS which connects to the hinges would be made out of metal as well going by where Sweviver pointed at the mas when he said the hinges would be improved (because the plastic version broke there)

2 Likes

I’m not sure if I’m getting old or a bit skeptical cause I hope I’m wrong but I don’t foresee Pimax doing the production in 10 days. Mainly because if it was 10 days they’d be doing an announcement in a few days with their Pimax Day 3 or whatever. Let’s hope I’m wrong.

2 Likes

Maybe they’ve finally learned from past mistakes and are waiting till they actually have everything ready, rather than announcing the date a week or more in advance and then having to change it at the last minute because not everyone got their homework done in time.

4 Likes

They said backer shipping in May. I wonder how many headsets they plan to ship between May 24th to 31st?

3 Likes

Happy to see a nice production update again and also happy to see the planned production date has no delay even!

6 Likes

From what I understood, they have 30 units assembled and tested, which are meant to be sent out as a first batch to the X backers.

Are there any renderings of what the SMAS looks like?

Those 30 were unrelated to the production, those were for all sorts of internal testing.

7 Likes

The update seems to imply that since I ordered an 8kX with the index bundle back in January I will get the index parts in the next 2 weeks. Do I have that correct?

1 Like

So when will the first 8K X headset be shipped? After the pilot on May 24th?

1 Like

~2 days assembly line time, 2-4 days test then to the packaging line.

10 Likes

Thank you for the update and all the time spent replying to questions. Really feels like Pimax are moving forward now.

4 Likes

During CES you and Martin spoke of different comfort kits without the glasses cut out and different coloured padding orange etc is that still the plan?

4 Likes

Late here … didn’t read - would someone kindly tell me what the deal is with the audio strap? when are we getting it etc etc? The one on my Pimax 5kplus is so s%^&tty that I have no enthusiasm to use it.

Lack of integrated audio means I need to add a pair of headphones with more weight to my head and frankly the straps are not comfortable at all.

When are backers going to get a proper audio solution for the headset?

Honestly, I’m kinda surprised they never shipped it with the Pimax 4k strap - at least that had built in audio!

1 Like

Based on the last 2nd last update the DMAS is 45 days behind the SMAS with no indication of when the SMAS will be ready so no info there. The current update only says nondescript issues uncovered aren’t affecting their schedule so basically the last 2 updates have offered no clue. Only filler on that item.

1 Like

I’mma be counting down the 9 days til production just to be ironic.

216hrs from now.

4 Likes

Don’t do that or else you might be disappointed. Best to just be cautiously optimistic and not check back for updates too often lol.

1 Like