What will the next generation of Pimax HMD’s bring us?

Pure speculation and wish list thread!
I’d like more bandwidth to the HMD and a higher pixel density to sharpen the image at large FOV. Maybe a larger vertical resolution?

4 Likes

Completely new optics. It’s what I have considered priority one after the initial models, and what holds everything else back.

8 Likes

New lens design? Maybe that will, as you suggest, be a necessary first step.
I don’t have issues with my 8kx, but if the next gen could auto sense and adjust for ipd and eye relief without adding too much weight and cost… that would be amazing!

1 Like

Built in eye tracking and DFR for at least the higher end models would be great. That and potentially new optics, though I find the lenses pretty good compared to most headsets right now, and up there in what I’d consider more realistic and major goals. Some incremental stuff, such as better colors, pixel density, and more bandwidth as new standards are on the horizon, are also something I’d like as well. The pixel density, assuming higher standards with more bandwidth to fit it, is something that’ll be hard to fix until we get much stronger GPUs or built in and properly functioning ET so the res can be designed around it though.

Other wish list items, such as varifocal displays, are probably not happening for another 2-3 gens.

2 Likes

I have said since kickstarter, new lenses, back then I mentioned interchangeable ones optimized for the different FOVs. Not very practical to have more than one new set though.

If we did get new lenses, I think optimizing lenses with lower magnification for the “normal FOV” (as that is what most people use per reviews) and getting as close to 100% panel usage as possible would make Pimax even better.

My pie in the sky wish would be using something like Thineyes optics. (those are optics from a company that tries to mimic characteristics of an insect’s vision where different portions of the lens have different magnification for a kind of foveated optical element.

1 Like

Revised Housing.

Front panel becomes an upgradable component. With removal can change some internal parts like the watchman dongles.

If doable switch to magnetic facial interface.

Others have already mentioned good upgrades.

Built in ET even if just for ipd setup

3 Likes

On the software side user configurable distortion correction would be kinda dope, so devs could try any cool Ideas they have, and you could configure distortion correction to the user’s unique situation.

If I had an unlimited budget and some engineers, I would design a laser Quantum dot display (or phosphor in a pinch) that works via a MEMS scanning system. rather than using MEMS for projection like a nebra anybeam or ShowWX does, the UV lasers hit the Quantum dots, causing them to glow.

It would be a display that would mimic the positive characteristics of an old CRT display, without the drawbacks.

• no fixed input resolution
  • infinite contrast
  • wide gamut color
  • excellent motion clarity (insanely low persistence)
  • If Quantum dot was used, no risk of burn in.
  • very low power usage, less than LCD.
4 Likes

Although I am usually rooting for the underdog, but I feel the next wave of competition will be too difficult/advance for pimax to compete, as software side of vr progress to a point, ease of use and intuitive ness plays a big part of the VR, pimax would have a difficult time keeping up to the new benchmark experience. I foresee a facebook vr or apple ar-vr would eventually takeover everything.

At least it would be nice if the new lenses were a little closer together to close the overlap in the middle.

2 Likes

New lenses of course. So much progress can be made there and at 0 extra gpu cost = win
Same for better colors (oled?).

Pimax went from releasing a new model almost every week to no new models at all anymore. It’s time for the pimax 8kx2! Better panels + better lenses = I’m buying!

3 Likes

Full FOV (vertical and horizontal) no edges at all and of course better lenses.

2 Likes

@oysta1109 Facebook and or apple? Gawd the future is bleak!
Pimax managed to innovate beyond the others in their first two years- and their design team hasn’t gotten less intelligent! I think Pimax might just surprise us.

3 Likes

I certainly hope so, but I believe Apple and FB had been secretly cooking things up and you know how endless money could bring polish to products, like quest 2, a very polished setup process, getting the hand tracking and AR is in the works, and Apple probably gonna release a 3000 usd device, and you know Apple products, likely to have a extremely polished experience and hardware.

Not fan of both company tho. Love underdogs and the innovative ways always caught my attention.

2 Likes

Maybe they can figure out better vertical FOV.
Pimax is innovating, you can see in Valve patents mentioning 180Hz now…FB mentioning eye/handtracking(although they have it already, it’s not perfect). Pimax has it already, even though it also may not be perfect. IMO Pimax should have started with a 130FOV headset with lenses designed for it. The 5K series would look better than most headsets out there still.

But…if they can update the lenses I don’t think it’s too late considering the glacial pace at which VR is moving. The issue is still performance, so taking full advantage of an 8KX at full fov 90Hz for most games won’t happen till like 4-5000series GPUs. I’ll guess they’ll go for 120Hz in some sort of refresh… but I think they’re now kinda forced to keep the big FOV as that will be pretty much their only unique thing. Being a lighthouse-tracked headset helps too.

I do believe the next Quest will be a huge difference…think about how fast they got standalone VR working and the formfactor pretty decent…If their next headset isn’t almost goggle-form I’d be surprised. They’d have to beat out Apple (if their thing really is a standalone VR headset), which a small refreshed Quest 2 update wont’ do, imo.

2 Likes

Hopefully better delivery of product to customers.

2 Likes

I believe an HDR capable back light (preferably mini LED based, though impractical) would be pretty cool with the current RGB striped LCD panels. HDR would enhance the native contrast of the display to our eyes, particularly a mini led, FALD, or just scanning back light.

A Quantum dot LCD color filter for the current panels would also be awesome for wider color gamut.

An HDR back light capable of strobing while in its brightest HDR mode could mean much lower image persistence and higher motion resolution without much loss of brightness. That would give a meaningful boost to actual resolution without needing to upgrade the current panel.

You could also hide pixel GTG transitions between refreshes better with HDR. It would give the displays a much cleaner image.

I suggest you contact Mark Rejhon from blur busters to see about optimizing panels for blur reduction if you add an HDR backlight. @PimaxVR @PimaxUSA @hammerhead_gal

4 Likes

I promise our product manager will see this post, :pleading_face:
SO, share all of your opinions here

5 Likes

@hammerhead_gal- this is just a thread to brainstorm ideas for features on the next Pimax model- doubtless your design and engineering folks have already thought of some of the ideas here. However, I hope Pimax will find some inspiration in our ideas.
Cheers!

2 Likes

Yeah Cheers; WE have been getting a lot of inspiration and ideas from the forum all the time,It is because of backers that made us

7 Likes

Personally, I really like my 8KX. For me, even the lenses are adequate. The biggest thing holding my enjoyment back isn’t the headset; it’s the lack of a strong enough GPU. Until the next gen of graphics cards come out, it doesn’t make sense to increase the resolution.

So, what would I like to see Pimax do? (listed in priority order)

• Offer incentives to developers to implement games and apps that don’t require PP. That might be as simple as providing free headsets and code samples/libraries to companies like Asobo and Frontier Developments. This will reduce the GPU demand significantly.
  • Improve the IPD range, especially on the low side. That might mean designing an additional, smaller headset for those with smaller faces.
  • Take better advantage of the pixels in 4K, by releasing a model with smaller panels that offers a max FOV of Normal. Most people never use Large FOV anyway.
  • Improve the headset cooling, to allow longer VR sessions, especially in summer.
  • Offer an OLED model.
  • Release a wireless adapter that can handle 8KX Native Res at 90 Hz (at the minimum).
  • Better lenses would be nice, but isn’t the most important deficiency imo.
8 Likes